Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I drill here?

is it safe to drill at end of white arrow?

airholes14tl.jpg

so I can do something like this:

airholes21nk.jpg

I got this idea from a bmw "m3". It will work, if drill spot I need is not going to hurt unibody integrity.No chance for blowby odors again-- among other stinking things ...as well as obvious cooling. Would like to do on both sides of car . The vents in fender would come from another, whatever i find at junk yard or hardware store or your ideas :)

I think you're fine to drill there. Are you routing something directly to that vent, or is it just a vent from the engine compartment? You might consider a hood scoop to vent fresh air in addition to the vents for more fresh air flow, if that's what you're thinking.

Ahem... not to sound rude, but I've seen a lot of 'ricers' put fender vents on their hondas and personally think they're in poor taste. To be honest, I usually laugh at them, because they're not functional in any way, and they're imitating a German luxury automaker's engineering on a Japanese economy car (Not to say I don't like Hondas - most reliable car out there, IMO). Now, off the soapbox.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to make those out of the fender itself. I know people on here have done so just by cutting and bending the sheet metal. Might make for a cleaner look if it's integrated into the fender... Just a thought.

I know you asked if it could be done, and not SHOULD it be done. But...

It will likely be a cosmetic thing only. The aerodynamic reality is that that big open space under the engine compartment, exposed to lower pressure, will remove far more under hood air than a couple fender vents. But if you like the looks, go for it.

I know you asked if it could be done, and not SHOULD it be done. But...

It will likely be a cosmetic thing only. The aerodynamic reality is that that big open space under the engine compartment, exposed to lower pressure, will remove far more under hood air than a couple fender vents. But if you like the looks, go for it.

Thanks for input. The oil odor when cars oil gets old comes in the cab and is frustrating. Every thing I have done is for decent air flow to go under the car, it is not happening all of the time. My 2wd sits low in the front, and even lower in the back, and has a front skirt.I first noticed the pressure under the hood releasing at its edges by the corners of the windshield with a little windstorm coming out in the rain drops getting thrashed around.I knew it was hissing from under the hood .It verified how engine odors can come into the cab vis passenger side, heater opening. I could find a way to seal hood better I suppose.. but to witness that kind of pressure whistling out, The bmw's super low to the ground m3 caught my interest as having a decent purpose (if there is one).and thought of top end cooling adds a touch of performance, as I have inadvertantly proven with some other hacks.Thanks again. If it does not hurt unibody, I will drill, and not even go to the outside of the fenders, just let it go between door and fender seams. I finger tapped on the area I wanted to drill to check the tone, and it is indeed tough, giving me doubts about drilling there.

After looking at the seal for hood-- it was barely attached. I also noticed upon closing hood slowly, that it sealed pretty good. The odors for me were happening at slow speed. So,being in good shape, I siliconed agressively the whole seals underside to the body, and am going to drill 6, 3/8th's holes on each side spaced 1/2 inch at spots I asked about in previous post and leave fenders alone. That should do most , if not all, what I am trying to acheive.For future a/c up and running, I must have the cabin air good for my cross country adventures. The engine in the winter doesn't want to do what it is vaporing now in hot summer, this fix should get both.

The boxer design promotes this hot flow to the sides,and up unlike the inlines. It will most certainaly have a purpose, without an engine soaking hoodscoop. The upside down flow has been a frustration of mine, on this ,my second sube and 10 years with same prob.

Again, tangential to Topic: :)

The source of most hot oil smells is leaks dripping onto the hot exhaust system. If you do some creative work with some sheet metal to redirect drips away from the exhaust you will all but eliminate hot oil smells.

Old oil smells are usually crankcase vapors. It is a sign of PCV system malfunction, allowing engine vapors to vent into the engine compartment.

If the engine is producing smells, it will be difficult to prevent them getting sucked into the ventilation system while the car is stationary now matter how you vent the engine compartment.

Again, tangential to Topic: :)

The source of most hot oil smells is leaks dripping onto the hot exhaust system. If you do some creative work with some sheet metal to redirect drips away from the exhaust you will all but eliminate hot oil smells.

Old oil smells are usually crankcase vapors. It is a sign of PCV system malfunction, allowing engine vapors to vent into the engine compartment.

If the engine is producing smells, it will be difficult to prevent them getting sucked into the ventilation system while the car is stationary now matter how you vent the engine compartment.

it is as fixed as it is going to get. Old engines give odors. I only drilled one hole on passenger side to not doubt the tough tone giving an indication that the area I wanted to drill is doing some structural work.I will avoid any more drilling by sealing the hood.It is difficult to stop going into vents/heat but I think I fixed it. Thanks for help.Now onto the a/c repair ... with clean air getting in only . :)