Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cam timing without belt covers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 r00fi

r00fi

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

I've checked out lots of threads about cam timing and I'm pretty sure I've got mine right, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't have belt covers installed. I had a look at Miles' tech article which has bare belts but that also references belt cover timing marks.

Is there something I can align the cam pulley holes with?

I know the pulley holes are supposed to align "one up - one down" but without a reference point the alignment is relative to how you hold you head and which eye you look through :)

I thought maybe it's possible to count the belt teeth? Maybe ok for turbo side but nightmare on dizzy side :eek:

My car goes ok at the moment, but I had some funky stuff happen after replacing a distributor cap and rotor which resulted the ignition timing going completely AWOL. I suspect I jumped a tooth on a cam.......

#2 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

I'm 99% sure "up" lines up with the cam tower/valve cover seam.

-=Russ=-

#3 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

I'm 99% sure "up" lines up with the cam tower/valve cover seam.

-=Russ=-

I second, and up it to 99.85%.

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

I second, and up it to 99.85%.

+1....100%

if you've got the flywheel marks on, and you've missed the cam timing by a tooth, it'll be noticably off from that seam.

remember, the 2 should be 180 degrees different from each other. so check one side, rotate the engine over once, and check the other (usually driver side first, but either way will work)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users