Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NOS, on ea71?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ecky

ecky

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Roseburg, Oregon

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

So, does enybody have a Nitrous Oxcide System on there gen 1? I ask because I am kinda thinking about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,920 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

So, does enybody have a Nitrous Oxcide System on there gen 1? I ask because I am kinda thinking about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Do you like the thought of replacing your engine numerous times? Do you like the thought of blowing it to little pieces? If so, go for it!

On an EA71, not a smart move. Maybe if it was fuel injected, it would be a bit better because you could tune it easier.

#3 ecky

ecky

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Roseburg, Oregon

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

Would it be safe if I rebuilt it first with forged internals? I'm only planing on using a small amount of nitro. Or will it still do catostrophic damage?

#4 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

i don't think you will be able to find forged goods... it's not something you can just pull off the shelf with these cars...

if you want power, upgrade to a newer engine... if you really wanted NOS i think the easiest way to do it would be to upgrade to an ea81 and convert it to SPFI... then you could tune it (i don't quite know how you'd tune it) to run NOS...

if you want power there are other ways to go about getting it...

#5 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

If you want power that bad out of a GenI, just bite the bullet and swap an EJ into it.

These engines were not made to make power.

#6 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

yea i agree an ej would be the best bet to make power the ea71 engines are not strong at all! You could get forged internals if you went to a machine shop bought the chunk of aluminium or whatnot and made them but one piston would cost more than the stinkin car is worth! If i were u i would get an EJ 25 or 22 and drop some CP pistons in there boost it up to around 6 PSI and then see how you like it(im talking from experience my bros rs lost compression on cyl 3 i think... he jumped it up to like 9psi... it was because he already has an sti block that we are currently modding! then forge all the rest of everything and pusher up to a cool 18 on 92 octane :lol: :lol: :lol: :headbang: that babey would be soooooooo fast!!! :cool:

#7 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

I am pretty sure you are the first person EVER to post this question on USMB.

Not worth the effort. The engine is strong enough for it in short bursts I suppose but the fuel system is far from ready for it. I think you need to sell the car and get something newer if thats your cup of tea.

#8 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

NOS = New Old Stock

if you want more go, put in NGK BPR6EY-11, install a weber, and use E-85

I know, BTDT

#9 Hotrod For Lifw

Hotrod For Lifw

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Wichita

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:03 PM

Forged rebuild kit at www.ramengines.com and performance parts at http://www.ultraflig...ance_parts.html (lots of cool stuff on her from dual intakes with a carb a piece or dual intakes with fuel injection.)

#10 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,920 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

Forged rebuild kit at www.ramengines.com and performance parts at http://www.ultraflig...ance_parts.html (lots of cool stuff on her from dual intakes with a carb a piece or dual intakes with fuel injection.)

yes, ram engines has some crazy stuff on there, HOWEVER, we are Subaru people, not airplane guys. Since airplane guys have a bit more money to throw around on these engines, its mainy aimed more toward them. Not saying that you couldn't get parts and whatnot for our engines, I'm just not up to spending $6,000 on a NA EA81 to put into my Brat. I'd rather get an STi front cut for the same price and have more horses:headbang:

#11 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Sick in the Head 4 Subaru

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Atascadero

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:10 AM

Anyone who is interested in those forged pistons from RAM, they are AWESOME.. I work for Rotordyne Areo, and right now we are rebuilding a prototype EA81 for us and we decided to go with these pistons. Also, I talked to Wyseco (manufacturer of these pistons) and found out to order them custom thru them would cost about $120 per piston anyway, so your only paying $20 extra to get them thru RAM engines.

The skirts on these pistons is A LOT shorter, as well as the wrist pin, so definately lighter.. They also give you more compression than OE.

-Mike

#12 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

i don't think you will be able to find forged goods... it's not something you can just pull off the shelf with these cars...

if you want power, upgrade to a newer engine... if you really wanted NOS i think the easiest way to do it would be to upgrade to an ea81 and convert it to SPFI... then you could tune it (i don't quite know how you'd tune it) to run NOS...

if you want power there are other ways to go about getting it...

or u could just get an Ea81T block and have MPFI:banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users