Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing Front Oxygen Sensor 99 Imp O/B Sport.

Ok Here's the deal,

I have a 1999 Subaru Imp O/B Sport, and I am wanting to change the front O2 Sensor. Never done this type of job before. I was just wanting to know if this should be a task that I leave up to a shop to complete, or Is it something anyone can do with a little effort and patience. I believe I can see the front O2 sensor when I remove the right front tire. Doesn't Look to hard to get to. But Like I said never done this before. Any input would be great!

Thanks

Jon

Somerset KY

Easy, they make special wrenches for the O2 sensor or get a 7/8" tube wrench. Shoot it with some PB Blaster or other break-free lube and let it set. Pull the old one, put in the new.

Thanks for your reply, Do you know if the generic sensor will do. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Also since I have never done this before, would you know if I just unhook the old sensor and just "plug-in" a new one or is there more to it like cutting wires etc...

Thanks for your help!

Jon

Hi jonfit04, the general consensus is the OE is recommended for the front O2 sensor. Plus if you get OE you know the connector will fit. I bought a generic aftermarket and I had to cut the connector off the old O2 sensor and solder it onto the replacement, kind of a pain.

If the sensor you get doesn't have any antisieze lube on it, you want to put a little on, being careful it's just on the threads. And don't overtighten the new O2 sensor. Otherwise it'll be real pain if you ever need to get it out again.

Sometimes the O2 sensor can be a little stubborn, so spraying with Kroil or other good penetrating oil, even days or weeks before you do the job can help. I find that with engine cold, starting and running for a minute makes it pop out real easy when I can't get it to budge otherwise.