Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Skid plates on EJ swappers

NoahDL88

So, as i'm sure some of you EJ swappers have figured out, the stock skidplate doesn't work so well with the lift and the EJ, not that it did with the lift anyway, but PK figured out a solution for that.

Anyway, the reason it doesn't work is that the oil pan hangs down farther than the cross member, which is why my car is sporting a shiny new JDM motor, and not the one it had in it when i did the conversion.

Has anybody tried raising the motor by shimming the motor mounts? i'm leaning towards that and also using an aluminum plate as the skid plate, but it also seems to interfere with the exhaust, which the stock one is cut to go inbetween.

I'm also trying to figure out if there is something i can put inbetween the skidplate and the oil pan that is hard yet soft enough to not hurt the pan, like a hockey puck, or something like that.

I need protection, its no fun worrying about my oil pan all the time.

I've got to get pictures...

I built a massive skidplate out of 1" box tubing welded to angle Iron that bolts to the origional point on the crossmember and new holes in the radiator support. I cut and welded the tubing to bend it to a shape that gives the best approach angle while still protecting the pan. Each arm of the skidplate frame runs alongsde the pan, one under the oil filter, one under the thermostat housing. A formed 1/8th inch plate bolts over it all.

It's awesome, and it's taken a couple of hits. it would take a lot to bend it.

• 7 months later...
I've got to get pictures...

I built a massive skidplate out of 1" box tubing welded to angle Iron that bolts to the origional point on the crossmember and new holes in the radiator support. I cut and welded the tubing to bend it to a shape that gives the best approach angle while still protecting the pan. Each arm of the skidplate frame runs alongsde the pan, one under the oil filter, one under the thermostat housing. A formed 1/8th inch plate bolts over it all.

It's awesome, and it's taken a couple of hits. it would take a lot to bend it.

Do you have any pictures?