Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Skid plates on EJ swappers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

So, as i'm sure some of you EJ swappers have figured out, the stock skidplate doesn't work so well with the lift and the EJ, not that it did with the lift anyway, but PK figured out a solution for that.

Anyway, the reason it doesn't work is that the oil pan hangs down farther than the cross member, which is why my car is sporting a shiny new JDM motor, and not the one it had in it when i did the conversion.

Has anybody tried raising the motor by shimming the motor mounts? i'm leaning towards that and also using an aluminum plate as the skid plate, but it also seems to interfere with the exhaust, which the stock one is cut to go inbetween.

I'm also trying to figure out if there is something i can put inbetween the skidplate and the oil pan that is hard yet soft enough to not hurt the pan, like a hockey puck, or something like that.

I need protection, its no fun worrying about my oil pan all the time.

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,994 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

this is only slightly related...but on my not lifted EJ swapped loyale, the skidplate fit fine. less clearance than stock...sure. but clearance, nonetheless.

maybe PKs block on the front isn't quite tall enough :confused:

#3 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

weld on a piece of square tubing to the back of the skid plate. Off set it a little bit to accomdate the new lift angles

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

I've got to get pictures...

I built a massive skidplate out of 1" box tubing welded to angle Iron that bolts to the origional point on the crossmember and new holes in the radiator support. I cut and welded the tubing to bend it to a shape that gives the best approach angle while still protecting the pan. Each arm of the skidplate frame runs alongsde the pan, one under the oil filter, one under the thermostat housing. A formed 1/8th inch plate bolts over it all.

It's awesome, and it's taken a couple of hits. it would take a lot to bend it.

#5 desert dweller

desert dweller

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Big Water, UT

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

I've got to get pictures...

I built a massive skidplate out of 1" box tubing welded to angle Iron that bolts to the origional point on the crossmember and new holes in the radiator support. I cut and welded the tubing to bend it to a shape that gives the best approach angle while still protecting the pan. Each arm of the skidplate frame runs alongsde the pan, one under the oil filter, one under the thermostat housing. A formed 1/8th inch plate bolts over it all.

It's awesome, and it's taken a couple of hits. it would take a lot to bend it.

Do you have any pictures?

#6 the_postie

the_postie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • brisbane.aust

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:50 AM

weld on a piece of square tubing to the back of the skid plate. Off set it a little bit to accomdate the new lift angles

I'll second that.Bit of tube welded on the back and a bit of flat slotted were the bolts goes thru on that for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users