Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Legacy 2.2 wagon 2WD

It had a funny noise every now and then. The noise was coming from the power steering pump area. So I took the belt off and spun the power steering pulley and there was a grinding feeling. I think the bearing is about to go.

How hard is it to replace the power steering pump? Anyone done this before and have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks guys!

How hard is it to replace the power steering pump? Anyone done this before and have any advice or suggestions?

It's really quite simple and straightforward (based on the fact that if I can do it . . . !)

It's been awhile so I can't offer any tips. But I don't recall any problems at all.

Good luck.

If at all possible flush the rack good before firing up the new pump after the replacement and if practicable install some sort of filter like a hydraulic filter or a magnefine in the PS return line. If the thing is grinding and it got metal shavings into the system for any reason that won't be good.

Reusing the old pulley I guess depends on whether the one you get comes with a new pulley. I don't know exactly what the pump style is for that year, but I just replaced the PS pump on my '00OBW and the new OE pump came with a new pulley installed. To reuse the old pulley I'd had of disassembled the pump since it was welded onto the shaft not just pressed on.

I replaced the power steering pump on my 94 with one from a junkyard and it came with it's own pulley so I didn't worry about that. The R&R job is really very easy. I think it took me about half an hour to do. Then I did my best to bleed the system by working the steering a bunch while stationary and driving slowly, adding fluid as needed. I don't think it took very much extra fluid to bleed it after the installation. :clap: