Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I really haven't been posting much about the car much.

I however got some big things i've been wanting to get done for a long while.

Last week I put in a generic 4-wire O2 sensor to replace the 3-wire OEM unit. The reasoning behind this is that on the older cars, the exhaust is rusted, cruddy, and just a poor ground. The sensor grounds through the exhaust, which can cause slow readings or incorrect readings. The 4-wire has a separate sensor ground. It helped the idle out a bit, much smoother.

This weekend I was going to do my cv axles, but I got home friday and didn't have a socket big enough, so I went to plan B which was swap the balanced & blue printed injectors I bought almost a year ago from a buddy. They are from a 92-94 legacy. The 90-91 autos used a pintle type injector. The 92-94's used a normal one I guess. Well the fuel rails are different between the injectors. So the whole rails need to be swapped as well. I tried to do this on the car....and it was a mess, fuel going everywhere. So this time I pulled the whole intake manifold. Which I might add, I've been meaning to replace the intake manifold gaskets as well. After getting it off, the old gaskets are crap....thin, thin metal. I believe most of the oil that was accumulating around the runners' base was seeping through the gasket from the intake manifold. So I swapped everything cleaned up as much of the oil mess as I could.

I was quite surprised at how clean everything was in the ports & valves, no carbon build, no nothing. I don't know if it was because I ran seafoam the weekend before or not. But either way things looked good.

I finished everything up today, and car idles rock solid. It doesn't seem to knock when I floor it from a dead stop in neutral. I think that is due to intake manifold gasket issues before. Car does seem to run smoother....haven't noticed any real power gains, but I'm hoping the ECU will do some learning to improve things. It usually needs some good highway running to do this. Also, I'm hoping my mileage goes up.....it's been utter crap.....especially for a n/a motor.

Here's pics.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/injectors/

I'd still like to do the conversion. I got a buddy in seattle area that has a t-legacy 5spd, rear diff, driveline, axles. The tranny & diff have been my big wants from a t-legacy because of the gearing and his diff is lsd. The other parts I can salvage from a n/a legacy. I just have to wait and see how things work out....

But the auto slush box is definitely the weak point of the car now.