Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering linkage (for Power Steering)

3eyedwagon

I'm wondering if anyone could point me towards some pictures of what people have done for their steering shaft/linkage from the firewall to the steering rack on EA81 cars WITH POWER STEERING.

I'm putting 4 inches of lift on an EA81 wagon, and would definitely prefer to keep the power steering.

I did a forum search and a picture search, but couldn't turn anything up.

I'm beggining to think that I am going to have to drill the firewall to lower my steering column, but that will only help so much.

If anyone has any advice on making the linkage for this or pictures of such linkage to provide inspiration, it would be greatly appreciated.

i have a brumby with powersteering and 4" lift

the steering linkage extension is the standard double uni joint with a 4" peice welded in the middle of the 2 uni joints

dont have a pic tho sorry... or a working camera

Did you rob parts from a EA82 steering setup?

My car has a rag joint / u joint setup on the top end of the linkage, and then that was mated straight to a fixed splined shaft coming out of the power steering rack.

Way I did it was to aquire a second u-joint and cut the 2" splined section from a junkyard steering column or non-power jack-shaft and use it to join the two u-joints together. No welding required, and it's been that way for several years. This also eliminated the rag joint, which makes for much more positive steering control off-road. I wouldn't run without power steering in my trail rig. It's dark so I can't take a pic just at the moment, but it should be pretty easy to visualize what I did.

And if you *do* keep the rag joint - replace it with a VW urethane one. The stock rubber ones can (and I've seen it happen) tear apart. This of course happens at the worst possible time when you are in 2 foot of muck, and then have no steering control at all.

GD

Way I did it was to aquire a second u-joint and cut the 2" splined section from a junkyard steering column or non-power jack-shaft and use it to join the two u-joints together. No welding required, and it's been that way for several years. This also eliminated the rag joint, which makes for much more positive steering control off-road. I wouldn't run without power steering in my trail rig. It's dark so I can't take a pic just at the moment, but it should be pretty easy to visualize what I did.

And if you *do* keep the rag joint - replace it with a VW urethane one. The stock rubber ones can (and I've seen it happen) tear apart. This of course happens at the worst possible time when you are in 2 foot of muck, and then have no steering control at all.

GD

Hey GD,

Just out of curiosity, did you cut the input shaft of your steering rack at all? The input on mine seems to stick out about 4 - 5 inches further than a non-power steering one. I cut it in half under advice from a friend who has lifted a bunch of them. Just no power steering rigs. Now it looks as though I'll be welding that splined section back on the rack. Just wondering how you did it. Thanks.