Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Steering linkage (for Power Steering)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

I'm wondering if anyone could point me towards some pictures of what people have done for their steering shaft/linkage from the firewall to the steering rack on EA81 cars WITH POWER STEERING.

I'm putting 4 inches of lift on an EA81 wagon, and would definitely prefer to keep the power steering.

I did a forum search and a picture search, but couldn't turn anything up.

I'm beggining to think that I am going to have to drill the firewall to lower my steering column, but that will only help so much.

If anyone has any advice on making the linkage for this or pictures of such linkage to provide inspiration, it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 BlueSteel

BlueSteel

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Tasmania, Australia

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

i have a brumby with powersteering and 4" lift

the steering linkage extension is the standard double uni joint with a 4" peice welded in the middle of the 2 uni joints

dont have a pic tho sorry... or a working camera

#3 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

i have a brumby with powersteering and 4" lift

the steering linkage extension is the standard double uni joint with a 4" peice welded in the middle of the 2 uni joints

dont have a pic tho sorry... or a working camera

Did you rob parts from a EA82 steering setup?
My car has a rag joint / u joint setup on the top end of the linkage, and then that was mated straight to a fixed splined shaft coming out of the power steering rack.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

Way I did it was to aquire a second u-joint and cut the 2" splined section from a junkyard steering column or non-power jack-shaft and use it to join the two u-joints together. No welding required, and it's been that way for several years. This also eliminated the rag joint, which makes for much more positive steering control off-road. I wouldn't run without power steering in my trail rig. It's dark so I can't take a pic just at the moment, but it should be pretty easy to visualize what I did.

And if you *do* keep the rag joint - replace it with a VW urethane one. The stock rubber ones can (and I've seen it happen) tear apart. This of course happens at the worst possible time when you are in 2 foot of muck, and then have no steering control at all.

GD

#5 BlueSteel

BlueSteel

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Tasmania, Australia

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

im not sure what its off

i got my extension when i bought my lift kit (in aussie)

but ive pulled single and double uni joints off ea81's and ea82's so i dont know what belongs to what any more

#6 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

Thanks guys. I had something of that sort in mind, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in successful conversions.

Thanks again for your time

3i"dwagn

#7 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:14 AM

Way I did it was to aquire a second u-joint and cut the 2" splined section from a junkyard steering column or non-power jack-shaft and use it to join the two u-joints together. No welding required, and it's been that way for several years. This also eliminated the rag joint, which makes for much more positive steering control off-road. I wouldn't run without power steering in my trail rig. It's dark so I can't take a pic just at the moment, but it should be pretty easy to visualize what I did.

And if you *do* keep the rag joint - replace it with a VW urethane one. The stock rubber ones can (and I've seen it happen) tear apart. This of course happens at the worst possible time when you are in 2 foot of muck, and then have no steering control at all.

GD

Hey GD,

Just out of curiosity, did you cut the input shaft of your steering rack at all? The input on mine seems to stick out about 4 - 5 inches further than a non-power steering one. I cut it in half under advice from a friend who has lifted a bunch of them. Just no power steering rigs. Now it looks as though I'll be welding that splined section back on the rack. Just wondering how you did it. Thanks.

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

I didn't cut anything. The rack and column are not modified. I just used a second u-joint.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users