Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Headlights... the kinds with bulbs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mbutkus

mbutkus

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:46 PM

Anyone have any useful headlight bulb information.
Purchased some of the "Super White Light" bulbs on E-bay.
55W H1
There must be a psychology about them. I know for a fact (used my photo light meter) that the bulb claims are fake. A 55 watt super white bulb puts out the same light meter reading as my "yellow" standard bulbs. Either direct or reflective reading. No difference in light, just color. The road did "seem" darker. Blueish light and black asphalt make for dark road. The road reflectors did light up a bit more since "white" light was reflecting off of them.
I have some pictures, light meter readings and a few different bulb selections I will post in a week or so.
Any comments or suggestions from anyone? I'm not looking to put in those 100 watt off road light and melt the housing. Maybe 80watts in the high beam and Silver Star bulbs. They are on sale at Advanced Auto Parts with a rebate!

#2 alias20035

alias20035

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Canada

Posted 20 November 2003 - 11:54 PM

Don't try overwattage bulbs!!! The Subaru headlight wiring is very fragile, and if you exceed 75 watts or so the wires will melt!!! 85watts = melted wires. I have seen it happen many times.

I suggest getting the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They are a premium bulb, with a very high quality filament for more light output with no additional power requirement. The have a blue coating to produce white light. They are considerably brighter than the stock bulbs. I think the part numbers are ST-H1 for H1, ST-9006, ST-9005, etc.

You can not measure a light bulb based on its wattage, as wattage is a measure of power usage, and not light output. Light output is measured in Lumens. Since you are a photographer, you already know this, but other readers may not.

One thing to note is that Subaru uses very high quality bulbs throughout, they are built by Osram (Sylvania) and are among the best. How many Subaru's do you see with burnt out lights? Compared to Ford? I can't get over the fact that most of the 2002/3 Ford Explorers that I see have 2/3rds of the rear lights not working. Either the Explorers alternator is not producing stable voltage or their bulbs are crap.

I did note that the Silverstars were rated for 150 hours? and the regular bulbs were about 1000 hours? Maybe a read the Sylvania book wrong, but 150 hours is like 3 months of night driving for me.

BTW the daytime running light system powers the bulb at about 70-80% power, and has little effect on bulb life. But if you constantly drive with the switch in the headlight position you are shortening the bulb life and wasting gas (the alternator has to work harder to produce electricity for the headlights and taillights, which will reduce fuel economy).

#3 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 21 November 2003 - 01:08 AM

I ran into the same problem with those damn blue/white bulbs.... I like the color in the snow or on a dry road, but wet roads seem to absorb all the light... Get a set of Ultra White Foul Weather Lights.. (34 bucks at schucks) the combo of those works awesome.

Oh and about higher wattage bulbs.. I ran 100 Watt lamps in my 86 for a few months and I do a lot of night time driving and I had no problems with melting wires or melting the housing...

#4 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 21 November 2003 - 08:30 AM

Are the Sylvania Silverstar really brighter, or just whiter? They mention on their website that the European version does not have the "whiter" light. That would be my preference, are they available in the US?

Wagner makes a Halogen Gold product, that says they last longer, but they don't make any brightness claims.

Sylvania claims "SilverStar bulbs are whiter, brighter, and closer to the color of sunlight."

To me, if they're more like the HID lights that a minus. I find the whiter HID lights to have annoying glare when approaching.

#5 rbsmith

rbsmith

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Harrisburg PA

Posted 21 November 2003 - 12:13 PM

I put the Sylvania Silver Stars in my '96 legacy last week - what a difference.

The Part # is 9003ST
Advance Auto Parts Has a deal - buy one and get one for 1/2 price plus another $6 off.

BobS :banana:

#6 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 21 November 2003 - 12:41 PM

Originally posted by alias20035
BTW the daytime running light system powers the bulb at about 70-80% power, and has little effect on bulb life. But if you constantly drive with the switch in the headlight position you are shortening the bulb life and wasting gas (the alternator has to work harder to produce electricity for the headlights and taillights, which will reduce fuel economy).

I agree that the bulbs will burn out faster, but let me put it in perspective, 150 watts is about 0.2 HP. For those of us without DRL, running with the lights on all of the time is a cheap way to increase safety.

#7 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 21 November 2003 - 01:03 PM

I'm going to try the Sylvania XtraVision, supposed to be

brighter but not whiter
and thus a lot cheaper.
Keeps away the Grim Reaper.

(headlight rap)

#8 slideways

slideways

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 21 November 2003 - 02:04 PM

I have used the XtraVisions; definately a good buy. I was told that they did something to improve the beam patterns or something to that effect. Anyways, they create more usable light with the same power usage.

#9 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 21 November 2003 - 02:23 PM

Anyone know what years the projector style headlights are made for? I think mine is a bit before that time, 1993 Legacy Wagon :-)
:banana:

#10 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:40 AM

I installed the Xtravisions last night. They are substantially better than the standard bulbs - brighter, sharper cutoff, etc. Well worth it.

They're $13 at Pep Boys. Bought another pair for my wife's car this morning.

I have used the XtraVisions; definately a good buy. I was told that they did something to improve the beam patterns or something to that effect.

I notice a beam down and to the left which I didn't see before - nice for cornering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users