Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Those good with math: 6-lug specifications please!

RavenTBK

Anybody have an actual spec drawing for the standard 6-lug rims?

I've got a buddy who does machine shop work and is willing to drill out my new hubs for 0$, however he lacks the fancy machinery that can accurately position the drill in a circle... basically, just X and Y only, no curves.

Anybody have a design drawing that shows the positions of the 6 lugs that need to be drilled out? ie: bolt circle, and X,Y measurements from the center for each lug?

I know since the 6-lug pattern is so common, there has to be a design drawing out there on the interweb somewhere... just havent found one yet.

Anybody got something they could toss my way? :)

The 6 lug spacing is 139.7mm.. So I would assume that the distance from the center of the hub to the center of the studs would be half that, 69.85mm.. I just used a power drill on the rears (done the fronts with a drill press, but it broke and couldn't finish the rears with it) just drilling through the wheels and it works fine.

why not use some 6 lug rotors or wheels as a pattern?

Thats an option... one my machine shop guy would like to use as a last resort.

The 6 lug spacing is 139.7mm.. So I would assume that the distance from the center of the hub to the center of the studs would be half that, 69.85mm..
I was able to figure that out, but that measurement doesnt fill in any of the question marks on the diagram, which is what Mr Machine Shop needs to drill, and guarantee his work. (Move X over from centerline reference, then Y down and drill...etc etc)

At the same time, this is kind of something that needs to be figured out anyways. Something that could be put into the USRM to "aid future generations". ;)

I was able to figure that out, but that measurement doesnt fill in any of the question marks on the diagram, which is what Mr Machine Shop needs to drill, and guarantee his work. (Move X over from centerline reference, then Y down and drill...etc etc)

Sorry, I'm not good with math that includes pie... Mmm, apple pie.. Ooops sorry, got distracted!

My dad would be able to figure it out, I'll ask him tonight if it hasn't been solved by then..

Here is a quick drawing that should help.

<clipped>

Matt

That is absolutely beautiful. Exactly the thing I need. Thank you.

I'm just surprised I've had so much bad luck trying to find something like this today ((read: multiple hours)). Google is useless sometimes... :rolleyes:

That is absolutely beautiful. Exactly the thing I need. Thank you.

I'm just surprised I've had so much bad luck trying to find something like this today ((read: multiple hours)). Google is useless sometimes... :rolleyes:

Good to see you got what you wanted. Good luck with it and post some pics of the new wheels once there on! :)

Problem.

I had a hard time verifying the 2.3191 measurement in that picture. Since it was sourced from within the board I assumed it to be correct and an error with my math. I had Mr Machine Shop drill based on that image. The "four holes" that were drilled form a smaller bolt circle than that of the rim, thereby making the hub semi-useless for me. (so, check my thread in the WTB section to take pity on me and help!)

The 2.3191 is incorrect. 2.38155 is more like it. I had it verified by some math geniuses on another forum. Well, to be honest, I had the geniuses figure it out first with no forward info, then I went after and verified their numbers as accurate. :)

Anywho, that image thats in the archives there needs to be removed. It doesnt quite work for a 6 on 140 bolt pattern...or any other 6 lug pattern for that matter :D

As a temporary thing, I can still use the two good subie lugs that are left to re-mount the tires for long enough to tow it up to my buddy's shop to re-tune the weber, but either way, I need to pick up some more rear hubs to finish the project as I really dont think I'd like the idea of actually driving it on just two studs.

Attached are the correct measurements. Phizinza, have your dad verify these, in case us Americans cant count. :)

post-3439-136027621106_thumb.gif

post-3439-136027621116_thumb.gif