Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 Legacy sedan 4WD automatic

I am looking at a '91 Legcay sedan, auto AWD with sunroof FS. 162k for $750 she says it is not TOO rotten we will see. But will be a great New Hampshire commuter. Will this car have ABS? Rust is a issue with this gen I know, front fenders at the bottom and rera fenders are problem areas. Anything else i need to know? Is this a 3 or four speed auto?? 1.8 or 2.2?

4 speed auto, 2.2 (won't hit high gear until the transmission oil warmed up, 70F)

If the rear wheel areas are bad (on the outside) when you replace the front fenders with aftermarket, you buzz the wheel arch pieces out of the fenders you take off. A "newer" fender piece will fit on the older fender (lower rear), just join the two under the moulding. The metal in these cars is thin, any welding of panals has to be done carefully/quickly.

I *think* all the sun roofs leak. There is a dealer bullitin on the fix.

WOPW that thing was rusty. I went a half any hour for a car that had more bondo than metal in the fenders!!:mad: I havte wheen peole missrepresent stuff they are trying to off load. This thing belonged in the junk yard. It did have ABS and all the options just REAL rusty!

It did have ABS and all the options just REAL rusty!

Is it a Sport Sedan? (turbocharged, spoiler, factory 15" wheels, oversize brakes)

And just how "real rusty"?

For it's age you would expect to have to put aftermarket fenders on the front, the rear quarters would have been "gibbled" up with bondo (but you should be able to salvage pieces out of the replaced front fenders) where the bumper contacts the quarters would be rusty/holed, if the sun roof was leaking the floors would need attention. A '91 is 16 years old.

If turbocharged it has the desirable EJ22T and oversize brakes.

Maybe not worth $750, I bought my sport sedan for $400.

"For it's age you would expect to have to put aftermarket fenders on the front..."

Why would you go to the expense and effort to do this on such a vehicle?

Mike V.

i did it :-p cost me $2000 to do the entire rear fender, with a OEM fender from subaru, spend $700 each side, and $600 for labour, LOTS of welding etc. :D

cost me $2000 to do the entire rear fender, with a OEM fender from subaru, spend $700 each side, and $600 for labour, LOTS of welding etc.

http://www.crosscanadaparts.com/cgi-bin/crosscanada/product_list.html?img_num=6711

Front fenders List $152.15 CDN each, (cost is less), as I said the part of the rear that rusts doesn't seem to rust on the front, the fenders you take off of the front you panal cut the wheel opening out of them and weld them into the rear quarters (L Front to R Rear, R Front to L Rear). If you just need the lower rear front fender piece you can steal a piece from any Legacy fender to 2000 joining it under the side moulding. Maybe your car is rustier, mine was not.

I have no idea what my cost was, I own my own welding machines, a metal brake, sanders, sand blaster, spray guns, I just go out and "play", being an old retired (retarded?) fart. So what if I manage to get $1200 wound into a Legacy Sport Sedan (*thinking* $1200=3 "real" car payments, so go out to the yard and play drive car more than 3 months=bonus, or "free" driving)

Yup, mine was bad, i cnat find my before pictures, but the rust was in the well where the door is, and right at the bottom corner, and there rear, is was VERY well rusted, RIGHT through, not sandable. And i need new front fenders, now :rolleyes:

PS: the reason why i spent so much, was because i plan on keeping the car for a LONG time, and there is NO rust anywhere on the undercariiage, or anything, just detachables, make spots of rust(doors, fender, etc)