Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'91 Legacy sedan 4WD automatic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

I am looking at a '91 Legcay sedan, auto AWD with sunroof FS. 162k for $750 she says it is not TOO rotten we will see. But will be a great New Hampshire commuter. Will this car have ABS? Rust is a issue with this gen I know, front fenders at the bottom and rera fenders are problem areas. Anything else i need to know? Is this a 3 or four speed auto?? 1.8 or 2.2?

#2 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

Should be a 4 speed, with a 2.2, and ABS i think was a option in that year, or you needed the higher level model, let me find the website with all the specs.

#3 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

4 speed auto, 2.2 (won't hit high gear until the transmission oil warmed up, 70F)
If the rear wheel areas are bad (on the outside) when you replace the front fenders with aftermarket, you buzz the wheel arch pieces out of the fenders you take off. A "newer" fender piece will fit on the older fender (lower rear), just join the two under the moulding. The metal in these cars is thin, any welding of panals has to be done carefully/quickly.
I *think* all the sun roofs leak. There is a dealer bullitin on the fix.

#4 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:33 PM

WOPW that thing was rusty. I went a half any hour for a car that had more bondo than metal in the fenders!!:mad: I havte wheen peole missrepresent stuff they are trying to off load. This thing belonged in the junk yard. It did have ABS and all the options just REAL rusty!

#5 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:03 PM

It did have ABS and all the options just REAL rusty!

Is it a Sport Sedan? (turbocharged, spoiler, factory 15" wheels, oversize brakes)
And just how "real rusty"?
For it's age you would expect to have to put aftermarket fenders on the front, the rear quarters would have been "gibbled" up with bondo (but you should be able to salvage pieces out of the replaced front fenders) where the bumper contacts the quarters would be rusty/holed, if the sun roof was leaking the floors would need attention. A '91 is 16 years old.
If turbocharged it has the desirable EJ22T and oversize brakes.
Maybe not worth $750, I bought my sport sedan for $400.

#6 Mikevan10

Mikevan10

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Lehigh Valley

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

"For it's age you would expect to have to put aftermarket fenders on the front..."

Why would you go to the expense and effort to do this on such a vehicle?

Mike V.

#7 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

"For it's age you would expect to have to put aftermarket fenders on the front..."

Why would you go to the expense and effort to do this on such a vehicle?

Mike V.

i did it :-p cost me $2000 to do the entire rear fender, with a OEM fender from subaru, spend $700 each side, and $600 for labour, LOTS of welding etc. :D

#8 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

cost me $2000 to do the entire rear fender, with a OEM fender from subaru, spend $700 each side, and $600 for labour, LOTS of welding etc.

http://www.crosscana...ml?img_num=6711

Front fenders List $152.15 CDN each, (cost is less), as I said the part of the rear that rusts doesn't seem to rust on the front, the fenders you take off of the front you panal cut the wheel opening out of them and weld them into the rear quarters (L Front to R Rear, R Front to L Rear). If you just need the lower rear front fender piece you can steal a piece from any Legacy fender to 2000 joining it under the side moulding. Maybe your car is rustier, mine was not.

I have no idea what my cost was, I own my own welding machines, a metal brake, sanders, sand blaster, spray guns, I just go out and "play", being an old retired (retarded?) fart. So what if I manage to get $1200 wound into a Legacy Sport Sedan (*thinking* $1200=3 "real" car payments, so go out to the yard and play drive car more than 3 months=bonus, or "free" driving)

#9 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

Yup, mine was bad, i cnat find my before pictures, but the rust was in the well where the door is, and right at the bottom corner, and there rear, is was VERY well rusted, RIGHT through, not sandable. And i need new front fenders, now :rolleyes:

PS: the reason why i spent so much, was because i plan on keeping the car for a LONG time, and there is NO rust anywhere on the undercariiage, or anything, just detachables, make spots of rust(doors, fender, etc)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users