Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Shifter clearance issues: BYB 3" lift.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

I did some searching, but couldn't find anything. I just installed a BYB lift in my '84 wagon over the weekend and now the shifter can't move into reverse.

What is the work around for this issue? Did you all just re-bend the shift lever and add an extension?

#2 P K

P K

Devil Dog Liaison

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Omicron Persei Diego

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

I did some searching, but couldn't find anything. I just installed a BYB lift in my '84 wagon over the weekend and now the shifter can't move into reverse.

What is the work around for this issue? Did you all just re-bend the shift lever and add an extension?

Normally, the shift lever is bent just a bit, but many hammer the boot hole slightly on the lower right to clear reverse travel.

Also, possibly your shifter bushing is worn and shifting requires more than normal throw distance. There is a fix for that here on the USMB.

r/ PK

#3 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,125 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:28 AM

if I recall on mine I only lost reverse in low range.... and I THINK I could get it if I put it in reverse in high range first and THEN threw it in low range... hard to remember since I sold that brat :(

#4 [HTi]Dain

[HTi]Dain

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:56 AM

Yeah, we just had to heat up [HTi]Savage's shifter and straighten it for his lifted brat.

#5 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

Thanks all. I think I will try straightening it a bit.

#6 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:50 AM

Hey Yeti,I think it is strange that you have that issue. Allthough I do have trouble getting mine out of 4wd sometimes but I think a few adjustments with a hammer ought to fix it.:)

#7 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

I had the same issue, it was the shifter bushings. Oddly, when I swapped in the 5speed with Jerry's kit, I wasn't able to use the plastic console piece that holds the 4wd lever boot.:confused: I never figured that one out, seemed the 4wd shifter was too low.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users