Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifter clearance issues: BYB 3" lift.

TheYeti

I did some searching, but couldn't find anything. I just installed a BYB lift in my '84 wagon over the weekend and now the shifter can't move into reverse.

What is the work around for this issue? Did you all just re-bend the shift lever and add an extension?

I did some searching, but couldn't find anything. I just installed a BYB lift in my '84 wagon over the weekend and now the shifter can't move into reverse.

What is the work around for this issue? Did you all just re-bend the shift lever and add an extension?

Normally, the shift lever is bent just a bit, but many hammer the boot hole slightly on the lower right to clear reverse travel.

Also, possibly your shifter bushing is worn and shifting requires more than normal throw distance. There is a fix for that here on the USMB.

r/ PK

I had the same issue, it was the shifter bushings. Oddly, when I swapped in the 5speed with Jerry's kit, I wasn't able to use the plastic console piece that holds the 4wd lever boot.:confused: I never figured that one out, seemed the 4wd shifter was too low.