Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need pic of Child Seat hardpoint (aka LATCH)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dickensheets

Dickensheets

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LOVELAND

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:27 PM

My wife wants the LATCH stsyem bad for our two couch monkeys. My options are:

1) newer car
2) roll my own system

If someone could post a photo of their's I would appreciate it. I beleieve they are standard equipment on all 2000 and newer cars. Should be under or in the vicinity of the seat bottom near the seatbelts.

Thanks, Ryan
97OBW Limited

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

Here is what I think you are talking about from my '00obw. It has it for the center rear seat.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,037 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

Actually, the LATCH points are simply steel "loops" or D rings bolted to the floor. To find them, they're usually painted black and are found between the bottom of the seatback and the bottom cushion. Sort of next to where the seatbelts pictured above are anchored.

Sorry no pix (I've got an earlier model) but I work with new cars every day, and that's where most of the LATCH anchors are...some are also on the floor of the "wayback" part of station wagons, just behind the back seat.

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hm....ok is that what this thing is?
Posted Image

#5 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,037 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

Nope. It's usually (I'm trying to remember what they look like in Subarus) just a steel loop about 1 1/2 inches bolted to the floor, painted gloss black..nothing attached to it. IIRC on Subarus, there's a plastic cover about 2 inches square, same color as the upholstery, that covers the hole that the anchor resides in. Embossed on that cover is a pic of a boat anchor on a chain. Easily flipped up or removed, revealing the LATCH anchor.

#6 Dickensheets

Dickensheets

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LOVELAND

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

Nope. It's usually (I'm trying to remember what they look like in Subarus) just a steel loop about 1 1/2 inches bolted to the floor, painted gloss black..nothing attached to it. IIRC on Subarus, there's a plastic cover about 2 inches square, same color as the upholstery, that covers the hole that the anchor resides in. Embossed on that cover is a pic of a boat anchor on a chain. Easily flipped up or removed, revealing the LATCH anchor.

Thanks for the effort porcupine73.

I will look for these on my car and if they are not there I will consider a nuts and bolts solution.

rd

#7 1997outback

1997outback

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • la verne

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:15 AM

so does an 2000 obw limited have latch system, or anchors? my 1st child is due anyday now. pic would be awesome.

#8 Dickensheets

Dickensheets

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LOVELAND

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

so does an 2000 obw limited have latch system, or anchors? my 1st child is due anyday now. pic would be awesome.

It should. Congrats by the way.

rd

#9 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

http://www.pbase.com/image/2493846

http://www.carseat.o...l/622_Latch.htm

The latch looks like this (metal "D" ring attached to a hard point on the car between the top and bottom seat cushions). When I get home tonight, I'll post a pic from my 2002 that has them.

#10 1997outback

1997outback

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • la verne

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

i check and i did not notice any "D" ring under the seat when i fliped it up. the obw does have top strap anchors, but that wouldnt help. we went to the chp and they help us fit it better.

#11 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

Attached File  Latch.jpg   46.69K   10 downloads

Attached File  Latch2.jpg   44.71K   11 downloads

Latch pics attached. You need of these 2 "Latches" per car seat. I saw a universal retrofit at Baby's R Us a few months ago. However, I bet you can just go to the hardware store and get the appropriate d hook and mounting bolts as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users