Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thermostat issue?

I have a 91' Loyale that is awesome. It has been the most reliable car and has gotten me everywhere. I was driving to work this morning and I noticed the temp gauge really crept up, so I pulled over and by the time I got into a parking lot the gauge had gone back completely down to normal temps. After it comes back down I could drive for ten hours straight and the gauge would stay nice and low and it always does, doesn't matter how hot it is outside or if I'm running the AC. I replaced the radiator and thermostat about 3 months ago. Is this just a thermostat issue? Anyone have a similar situation?

Thats what Rocky used to do...and it was the bad T stat it was gummed up etc..when it crept up that hot it seemed to loosen whatever has doing that to the T stat.... Did you use OEM or aftermarket? I am holding out for OEM for both cars ..after seeing how different the aftermarket was...and I dont want to be doing head gaskets any time soon.

Thats what Rocky used to do...and it was the bad T stat it was gummed up etc..when it crept up that hot it seemed to loosen whatever has doing that to the T stat.... Did you use OEM or aftermarket? I am holding out for OEM for both cars ..after seeing how different the aftermarket was...and I dont want to be doing head gaskets any time soon.

Yeah thats the thing, I did a search on T-stats and I noticed that everyone says to get the OEM T-stat. When I replaced the radiator I just got one from the autoparts store.... bad idea I guess. Where can I get an OEM T-stat?

Yeah thats the thing, I did a search on T-stats and I noticed that everyone says to get the OEM T-stat. When I replaced the radiator I just got one from the autoparts store.... bad idea I guess. Where can I get an OEM T-stat?

when you find a dealer that has them or will get some..get me one for each..my Loayle and my XT6;)

when you find a dealer that has them or will get some..get me one for each..my Loayle and my XT6;)

Damn! That hard to find huh? Well I'll start calling dealers, being that I live in Colorado there are plenty of Soob dealers. If I find one that has some I'll let ya know, thanks.

Thanks..just my local dealer wont waste their time for older parts

Call SOA and complain about poor service. Subaru touts there cars longevity in there ad campaigns. Make them back it up. That's just lazy on the dealer counter persons part, it's just the looking up the part in a book that takes time. "ordering it" is the same wait as any other part. Those Conneticut dealers are to used to rich snobs leasing a new car every 2 years. You're not asking them to do anything that hundreds of other dealers around the country don't. I could see them complaining about working on the old ones, but just looking up a number and going "click" is not that hard.

I order all my parts from an Oregon dealer. They are happy to take a credit card payment and ship the items to me. Bucky, maybe you should try that? John and Phils in Corvallis OR. has always been great. They also stock a selection of quality aftermarket stuff for older soobs. Stuff that's getting hard (and expensive) to get from Subaru, but top quality and good price(t-belts, Idlers, seals. They use these parts in there service dept for older Subarus)

My local dealer always has 'em in stock.

Connie, try getting one through one of the online parts dealers. They always have 'em listed. Then when you get it, you'll have the part number and can take it directly to your local dealer and use that for ordering it.

FYI: The part number for the EA82/EA81 t-stat is: 21200AA121

The XT6 is listed separately, so its probably different. Give your local dealer that number for the EA82 T-Stat if they're not willing to help you.

My local dealer (Lithia Subaru of Oregon City) stocks the t-stats, filters (air and oil), belts and most hoses for the EA81's and up. OEM stat is about $13 give or take. They aren't in short supply or anything, and if you bring in the part number I can't see why they wouldn't order it - that's just silly. I would ask to speak with a manager.

GD

They aren't in short supply or anything, and if you bring in the part number I can't see why they wouldn't order it - that's just silly. I would ask to speak with a manager.

GD

YEAH!!! THAT'S RIGHT!!!! You want to see a manager or this little Conneticut towns gonna be overrun with frenzied EA82 owners pitch forks in hand:headbang: :Flame: New Milford Subaru!!!!!!

I was told by my local Subaru Dealers Parts Department Manager...that I own the 2 worst Subarus ever made and both should be junked. This was after I tried to order the OEM T stat for my XT6...when I ordered it the counter guy got the part number and said they had to order it..it would be in in a few days...a week and a half later ...nothing..so I called and was told that they cant get them ( didnt even have the common desency to call me and tell me this sooner) BUT they had the gasket and I could come get that:-\ ..I asked about another part and thats when I got transfered to the manager and was told that I should junk the cars.

I later then sent a nasty email to the owner stating all this and have heard nothing. I have just recently been told that the Subaru Dealer in Brewster NY is pretty good..I havent tried them yet.

I varified that I could get the T stat by calling a friend who called her local dealer in PA ..and they told her no problem ..It just sucks that I have to order parts EVERYWHERE I go ( even the aftermarket places ) for both cars

Seriously, Talk to SOA about this. I doubt they would be happy to here the dealer managers advice and basically refusal to order available parts. Gauranteed they will send him a bulletin reminding him of Subarus Customer Satisfaction policies.

On a sidenote I found out something rather interesting. When I was at the dealer getting my T-stat, I decided to go ahead and get a new key made... since the only one I have is so old, I had to make one from the key code that Subaru keeps on file. Well.... the key technician let me take a look at the file that Subaru has... with all the history of the car etc.... come to find out when my car was new it was a rental car in Reno, NV!! I had no idea that rental car companies ever had Subaru's in their fleet. Just found that kind of interesting.