Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping power window mechanisms into hand crank door

I need a new D/S door for my coupe. Found a coupe of the same color at a junkyard. My coupe has power windows, junkyard coupe has crank windows. How hard is it to swap the innerds over to retain the power windows?

If its much of a PITA, I'll just wait until I find one with power windows.

Pull the door panel and look. There are many differnt ways this was done. If the car had it as an option odds are its just an add on. Worse case scenario is that you can't do it, or you need the entire regualtor.

nipper

I normally wouldn't recommend going manual to power, but it's really not that bad on these cars. Unlike some of the domestic brands, Fugi's door shells are truly "universal" in design. I sucessfully converted a whole set doors on my 88 wagon without too much difficulty.

If I recall, all the knockouts and stampings are 100% correct in the manual door shell, so it's just a straight bolt-up job, with no drilling whatsoever. I would do the conversion with the doors off the car because it is much easier to get inside the door cavity this way.

I seem to remember the most difficult part is the power door lock actuator linkages (probably because I have big hands). Also, be careful not to damage the plastic linkage retainers in the various mechanisms when swapping inner parts between the two doors.

good luck John

Be a lot easier on a coupe than a Wagon. Theres so much more room inside the door to manuver the pieces.

You will want somebody to help hold the glass up while you manuver things and bolt things up. Then getting the pieces all aligned is kindof annoying but still doable.

Good point, the 2-door models wouldn't be nearly as tight inside. You wouldn't necessarily have to remove the door to get good access.

An extra hand always makes alignment of the internals easier. Bolt the components up loosely, and pay close attention to how the glass moves up and down the tracks, and where the fasteners are located in relation to the access holes in the door shells. By positioning the glass at the right spots, you can make your final adjustments.

I've always liked this design. Some other models weld the door shell togetherafter installingthe power window assembly (which is often riveted together). This makes motor replacement a royal pain, and conversion nearly impossible.

good luck, John