Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project: RAMROD (wrx TDO4L Port and Polish) !Dialup!WARNING!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered my two Turbo gaskets today, I dont know when I will have them, But I sure hope they work, now I need to find a copper Crush washer that the correct size for the oil feed line... Any Ideas??? I did try my local auto parts stores.

Any Info on the turbo separation?????????

Jonathan, mabey your air chisle??? zzz

PICT0012a.jpg

this is part of what needs porting, all that while you see is in my way... but only if I can get this thing separated.... Sorry for the poor Pic

Hey Jonathan, Want to let me use your air pencil Boaring tool, and posibly some of your smoothing pads??? My harbor freight dremel wanabee is dieing, I think its throwing bearings inside.... and It also has no power..... PLEASE????????????????????:banghead:

Well, I went to home de-pot and I bought me the bestist dremel they had... and now look at how the porting is coming along!!

Its really hard to get the camera to focus on this so sorry for the crappy pictures..

and yes I do see the scratches I made on the mating surface, I will have to polish those up!

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

name brand dremel is an excellent investment.. it is a FAR more precise machine than the harbor freight tools. If you are going to do porting work, its important to have a smooth surface when you are done. and you cant REALLY accomplish that with a cheapo "dremel"

I found the copper crush washers for brakes on the calipers will wor if you get the smaller ones. I got a pack of like 8 of them from the parts store for a few bucks.

My bro in law got me a few from his work so Im good for now, but Ill keep that in mind!!

use the sanding drums to finish out the surface. i assumed you used the stone cones. i use the cutting bit on aluminum and shape it up with stones, then finish up with the sanding drums.

rpms on the dremel are going to be dictated by what bits you use. thge dremel brand bits should be rated with an rpm range

My parts are enroute and are supposed to be here on the 25th so, I thought I might as well give you guys an update,

I have fineshed porting, as far as I feel I need to go, I took off quite a bit of metal, and Now I am getting ready to polish it, nice and shiny, (mabey....)

PICT0007b.jpg

PICT0009b.jpg

PICT0008b.jpg

This is with it being sanded with the fine grit sandpaper, untill the paper blew up in my face, and scared the CRAP OUT OF ME, ALWAYS WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES, I stupidy had them over my head, but luckily with my ADD I was able to turn my head and close my eyes before damage was done... AND YES I WAS USING THE CORRECT SPEED!!!! I even double checked in my manuel after it blew!!!

Anyways I will post more pics when I get to polishing, OH! and my dremel has some balancing issues, whenever I put a large stone on it, it vibrates crazyly, so i am going to buy a new coilet to see if mine is bent and if its not, well, Dremel owes me a new tool!!!!! I hate this crap!

Well, I have been polishing with the rough compound for about 3 hours or so now, and i have decided to post my worthless pictures...

PICT0008c.jpg

If you are looking this thread up for info on porting, DO NOT GRIND the turbine area, doing so can be hazardous, I used a stiff wire brush on my dremel to remove the excess exhaust buildup and thats it.

PICT0005c.jpg

PICT0003c.jpg

The stuff at the very end I cant get to, but it will definately be better than before.

PICT0001c.jpg

well, my dads friend (who a machinest) told me that my port was lumpy, and after feeling it myself, i realized that it really was crappy as far as texture was, but it was shiny, so I resanded it for about an hour and then started polishing it, Jonathan told me that using oil with my abrasive buffs would actually polish very well, so after about an hour and a half heres what I got so far.....PICT0001d.jpg

PICT0003d.jpg

PICT0007d.jpg

and I'm not close to done yet... Finally I get some better pictures, I think I am figuring the camera out....

ok, well..... it is mirror Shiny, (I didnt beleive it was possible...) it looks like I chromed it, for this round of polishing I used Ryobi "4oz White Rouge Buffing Compound" HOLY CRAP.... It is almost like a wax, mabey it is a wax but I dont know, but take a look at this crap, I polised it for a little over an hour and look at what I have done....

PICT0006e.jpg

PICT0003b.jpg

PICT0001e.jpg

PICT0004e.jpg

the stuff you see in the back is the actual compound itself after it has been applied, It is extreemly difficult to remove but it was well worth it

not to bad eh???? is anyone looking at this anymore................