Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

fuel pump WTF? Now even bigger WTF

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:17 PM

HELP!!!!!!!

1991 loyale

Died all of a sudden. Checked spark, it's good. Checked for fuel at filter, no pressure because fuel pump isn't running. Pulled fuel pump and tested it, and it works just fine. Whipped out the Fluke and tested the power to the fuel pump. When the key is first turned on, it reads about ten volts, then drops to zero after about one second. When cranking, no voltage appears.

What demons have possessed this car? Could it be the fuel pump relay? The computer?

I've got spares of both, but they are 800 miles away, so I need to find out what's wrong.

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

If you are getting spark, its probably not the computer. Fuel pump relay is a good bet. If its easier for you, I will send you one.. save you an 800 mile trip.

#3 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:39 PM

Thanks caleb. I don't think I'll have a chance to check it out until next monday, but I'll PM you if I need one (it's not terribly important that the car is running right now, and I'll be making the trip for Christmas anyway. I may still take you up on that though, because I might need the car running sooner than that.)

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 04 December 2003 - 12:03 AM

Cool. I have 3-4 of them floating around in my garage. Just let me know.

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,342 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 December 2003 - 01:36 PM

if you get vols and it quits, sounds lile the relay is working.
when you turn the key to run position, it kicks the pump on for a few seconds.
after that, the fuel pump comes on when sensing a signal from the rotating distributor.

so you will want to check out where the signal from the dist goes, and what it goes to to kick the fuel pump on

#6 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:07 PM

Well Donald it is not quite as simple as vols (what are they, small rodents?) and dists
If you follow this link
http://usmb.ultimate...light=fuel pump
You will see, we all can learn something from doing some searching and reading.
The seatbelts of all things??

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,342 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:44 PM

i am posting from what i know and my experiences more than from what i read off the board.

#8 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 08 December 2003 - 09:46 PM

Now I'm REALLY confused.

Today I put the pump back on, and just for s***s and giggles turned the key, and it started right up! Runs fine ever since.

I'm gonna go check the fuel pump relay, and test the voltage at the pump again to try to figure out what was going wrong. Maybe Alice was just not happy with me last week for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users