Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no lo beams

Desperately seeking the light for my 1987 gl wagon. I hit a speed bump and the lights went out then I hit another one and they came back on. Then I hit one bump too many and have only hi beams on my halogen bulbs. Already replaced bulbs twice and the spendy relay under the dash that the dealership kindly offer no refunds on:madder: !!!! Ofcourse I replaced every fuse I could find. Please help me before I permanently blind someone:brow: , just kiddin, I tilted headlights down with duck taped wrapped cardboard in between lights and frame. Although if I get stopped and the police look under the hood, they might think its contraband. Open to economical suggestions, on the headlights, ofcourse.

Thank You

Chris

Have you Checked the Wiring where the Plug Connects to the Bulb? and follow the wires and check the ground?, when you look at the bulbs are the filiments for the low beams actually broken or not? if so then im guessing that there is a short in your wiring and its shorting out and blowing the bulb.

The head light system on your 87 is not like American cars.

The common element of each head lamp bulb is supplied positive battery voltage.

The filament (hi or low beam) that you want to light is grounded by the switch. Kind of a safty measure - if one of these wires happens to go to ground, there is no "short". Nothing "blows out"

You say you replaced the under dash relay. Well there are two of them, one for the right side and one for the left side.

Subaru would not let one relay control all your lighting

(if it went toast you would become an instant "Stevie Wonder on wheels").

Do you have high wattage or fancy lamps in there??

Some are very prone to burning out early.

Try a pair of normal lamps for a while.

Or go with the new Sylvania lamps

Hope this helps

Actually I did check all of the relays and bought the sylvania lifetime warrantied halogens. I appreciate the advice and my knowledge on vehicles is above norm for females, although I am still a novice:-\ . Just a fyi, I worked at chief auto parts for a yr and a half and can actually identify parts under a hood. Also had a father who made sure his daughters could do minor repair and maintenance on vehicles before we got a license. When it comes to wiring, it looks like spaghetti to me. Currently I am searching for ground. Thanks again for the info.

Chris, Very good choice on the lamps. I used some cheap versions and they only lasted a week or so.

Did you go with the Silver Stars?

I have been looking at the XtraVision 9004XV

Glad you checked all the relays, BTW they can be interchanged as a test for a bad unit.

Since you have savoy.

Here is a wiring diagram showing the "ground" you seek.

Look left app. center on the diagram.

This ground is by the driverside corner above the headlamp. Phillips head screw has several grounds under it.

Prone to corroding, I replaced mine with a 6 mm x 10mm bolt.

As I mentioned, this gound and it's connection to the lamps is controlled by the switch, very possibly the switch is the culprit.

headlightdiagram.jpg

Hope this helps, if you need wire colors for testing the switch at the connector under the steering col. please ask.