Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Tail, Dash & Head Light Conundrum

I read a few threads about similar problems, but they got very confusing pretty quickly...

I have a 94 Loyale. Everything usually works fine, just as they should. Sometimes my dash and tail lights will go out. My headlights are still on, but the left one seems dim. A few bumps later, all the lights come back on. Sometimes after fiddling various switches or stopping and restarting the car.

One weird thing is when I have the headlight switch on the first click (only marker, dash and tail lights) the dash lights up, but seems a little dim and slow to light. If I then switch on the head lights (second click) the headlights come on (left one dim) and the dash goes out. If I switch back, the dash slowly relights.

I have read about reseating/checking a connector above my peddal assy. Looking at the wiring diagram, I possibly suspect the headlight switch or the lighting relays.

Does anyone know where the lighting relays are located? The book says there are two- one for left, one for right.

Are there any other things to check? Could faulty bulbs cause this? I am going to check the fuses again, maybe one is kinda flakey.

One seperate note, should the parking switch on the collum turn on my tail lights? Maybe I can use that temp. to drive around today.

Thanks Everybody!:burnout:

to me (and this is only my humble opinion) it sounds like a flaky switch by the way you described it. Try taking it out and cleaning the contacts and see what that can do. Since the headlights turn on and off with the ignition too, you can also give that a look-see for any loose connection.

Sounds to me like the dimmer switch assembly. Does messing with it while the lights are on affect them? Dim headlight on one side can be from a bad fuse or relay.

The parking light switch should turn on you're tail lights. The relays for the headlights are up under the dash, in the group of 4 relays left of the steering column.

LH has a green connector

B BR

B BW

RH is black connector right next to LH

B BY

B BW

Fuse 6 and 7 are supplied 12v by the LH relay. Fuse 8 is powred by the RH relay.

Turn the key on, Headlights on, and test for 12v at all those fuses. If either have no voltage to either side of the fuse, then the corresponding relay is bad.

From what you are describing, I think you're LH relay is bad.

The combination switch provides switched power to the dash and taillights so as HYRYSC mentioned, look for the problem with them at the switch connections. My info shows if you jumper the red/blu power supply wire to the red, lights wire, you will bypass the switch connections to see if this is true.

The dash lights may also have another problem through the dimmer switch as Gloyale mentioned. As he also stated the left headlight problem is most likely with the relay. Look for the set of 4 relays where he stated and the light relays are the middle two I believe. The others on the ends are for the blower and the rear defogger.

When I first read your post I thought there may be a grounding problem in the dash area. But since the grounding is different for the running lights and dash lights I then saw the power connections in the combination switch were the common tie here. If the switch is really ok then check the voltage on the red/blu wire and make sure there isn't a problem upstream of it, back towards fuse 6.

The dash lights may also have another problem through the dimmer switch as Gloyale mentioned. As he also stated the left headlight problem is most likely with the relay.

If the switch is really ok then check the voltage on the red/blu wire and make sure there isn't a problem upstream of it, back towards fuse 6.

LH Headlight relay supplies the power for fuse 6, which is the lighting system fuse. LH relay being dead would result in both of the symptoms he's experiencing (no tail lights, dim left headlight)

Oh ya your right. Now that you mention it Gloyale I do recall that fact from my dusty memory banks, working on previous problems in that area. The data I was looking at showed the circuit starting at fuse 6 and I assumed it was just tied to direct power. Replacing the relay will most likely fix all the trouble. If there is still trouble with the dash lights then, as you mentioned, checking the dimmer control would be the next step.

Anybody have some canned air I can use to blow out this dust in here.:)

Are they on the dash? Cuz I have an entire dash in the shed, remember? I think the relay too, I will check 12v at those 3 fuses. Should shed some light! Thanks Dan!

The bracket for them is on the dash. So when installed they are in the dash. But I think that the harness for them is actually part of the main harness. Not the wiring that stays in the dash when you pull it. It may have got left in the car.

The relays for the headlights are up under the dash, in the group of 4 relays left of the steering column.

LH has a green connector

It seems to definatly be the LH relay... no power on 6&7 fuses.

So I should find them between the steering collom and the drivers side of the car? Near the fuse box? Should I remove the plastic panel to gain access?

Yeah, found them on my spare dash board. All four in a row! So, now I have tried to swap one out and still nothing. I am going to try another, then start testing relays I guess... We are working with the two middle relays, right? The one with the green connector is LH?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well, I got it! The LH relay (w/ the green connector) was on the far left side in the group of four. The relay power terminals were starting to melt!! So, I put in one of the spare relays and it is working great!!

The green connector is the LH lite relay, you all said the black connector was the RH lite relay, right? The other two (blue and white) are for the blower and the rear defroster? Anyone know which is which, just for future reference?

The green connector is the LH lite relay, you all said the black connector was the RH lite relay, right? The other two (blue and white) are for the blower and the rear defroster? Anyone know which is which, just for future reference?

Glad to hear you got it working. Blue connector is listed as the Rear defrost relay. The color is not listed for the blower relay, but I'm assuming that is the white connector.