Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Realistic? Crazy D's dream project!!!*more questions* updated 9/5/07

crazy D

Turbo pistons for an ej18 are not an out of another car option. They've got a bore smaller than any other ej turbo motor. Custom pistons or the head swap is pretty much the only way you'll get the compression lowered in an ej18

sweet my teach told me the place he gets them is locally in an all import engine place... they have dohc blocks, 2.5 and 2.0 and all sorts of stuff

-Dalton

If that is the case then go with a 2.2 phase 1 SOHC. Smaller engine, simpler to work on than the DOHC, Non-inteference engine, dual port exhaust, also tons of bolt on go fast parts. I have a EJ18 b/c it was free. If I had to do it again, I would go for a frankenstein 2.5 short block w/2.2 headers and turbo the mess out of it.

BW

i think im going to go with a 1.8L with 2.2 turbo heads and boost the crap outta it....

one problem tho, and i dont want to here any s##t about it...

i have no idea how to do pluming for a turbo

i know the turbo is spooled by the exaust, but i have know idea how the exaust gets to the turbo and back.

any diagrams or explanations?:)

thanks

-Dalton

I present to you a diagram so great that it can only be described as junk...

Not to scale, layout definately not correct for our motors, but it took me a minute to do...

crappydiagram.jpg

hahahaha thanks buddy

dude i called you!!!!! you didnt call me back?

thanks again tho...i was hella laughing... and i understand

bump for more info?

if i plan on running an ej18 with turbo 2.2 heads and about 14-15lbs of boost im thinking ill need the following....will any of this be an easy swap over?

bigger injectors

better ecu(what should i use for an upgrade?)

the entire turbo set up(pipes and junk)

tdo4 turbo

intercooler

how much power do you think this thing is gonmna make?(lots of opinions please)

im hoping this will be reliable

keep in mind this is going in a brat :headbang:

-Dalton

anybody?

does anybody have any suggestions?

what kind of intercooler?...i saw some cheap ones on ebay (31x13x4):rolleyes:

i want something top mounted tho cuz i plan on wheelin this thing still tho., and i dont think a 31in intercooler is gonna fit under the hood:cool:

turbo suggestions?

-Dalton

bump for more info?

if i plan on running an ej18 with turbo 2.2 heads and about 14-15lbs of boost im thinking ill need the following....will any of this be an easy swap over?

bigger injectors

better ecu(what should i use for an upgrade?)

the entire turbo set up(pipes and junk)

tdo4 turbo

intercooler

how much power do you think this thing is gonmna make?(lots of opinions please)

im hoping this will be reliable

keep in mind this is going in a brat :headbang:

-Dalton

Dalton, I like your enthusiasm. It's great to read about your ideas and your plans with your BRAT.

I hesitate to post this b/c I don't want to sound like a naysayer or be nagging you. That being said, the EJ frankenmotor will not be reliable, especially if you are planning to throw 14-15 lbs of boost.

The amount of money you are going to spend get it to run and they money spent on rebuilding the motor when it blows up will be the same as finding a WRX motor and dropping it in. It's either 2k now or 2k slowly.

I am all for experimenting and doing things that are different and unique. I am actually going to make a EJ18 FRANKENMOTOR similar to what you want to do. Gathering parts now. Not going to be started for about 6 months though. I don't plan to throw more than 8-10 lbs of boost b/c I have the stock EA81 d/r tranny and mine is lifted.

If you are interested in EJ18Ts and frankenmotors, check out RS25.com and look at the technical section dealing with turbos. There are a couple of EJ18Ts there. From what I have read, the stock motor can safely handle up to 8lbs of boost. anything higher you will need engine management and other controls.

Car modification is not like Grand Turismo or Forza Racing. You can buy parts and slap them on and things will work out awesome. Perfect example is that show "Forza motorsports challenge" After the cars started to get things modified they were overheating and not running well at all.

Just my two cents.

BW

Dalton' date=' I like your enthusiasm. It's great to read about your ideas and your plans with your BRAT.

I hesitate to post this b/c I don't want to sound like a naysayer or be nagging you. That being said, the EJ frankenmotor will not be reliable, especially if you are planning to throw 14-15 lbs of boost.

The amount of money you are going to spend get it to run and they money spent on rebuilding the motor when it blows up will be the same as finding a WRX motor and dropping it in. It's either 2k now or 2k slowly.

I am all for experimenting and doing things that are different and unique. I am actually going to make a EJ18 FRANKENMOTOR similar to what you want to do. Gathering parts now. Not going to be started for about 6 months though. I don't plan to throw more than 8-10 lbs of boost b/c I have the stock EA81 d/r tranny and mine is lifted.

If you are interested in EJ18Ts and frankenmotors, check out RS25.com and look at the technical section dealing with turbos. There are a couple of EJ18Ts there. From what I have read, the stock motor can safely handle up to 8lbs of boost. anything higher you will need engine management and other controls.

Car modification is not like Grand Turismo or Forza Racing. You can buy parts and slap them on and things will work out awesome. Perfect example is that show "Forza motorsports challenge" After the cars started to get things modified they were overheating and not running well at all.

Just my two cents.

BW[/quote']

hey man i got a couple questions to ask you

i was told that if i use 2.2l heads it will reduce the compression enough to boost it safely...is this true?

and i was thinking of using a ej22T ECU for better management...also a plus side?

how will this not make it reliable?

i really want to try to find a ej22T (closed deck) and boost that....will that be more reliable?

thanks....

-Dalton

i was told that if i use 2.2l heads it will reduce the compression enough to boost it safely...is this true?

Yes. Your CR will be around 7.9:1. Stock EJ18 CR is 9.5:1. The stock EJ18 will handle 8 lbs or so from the research that a have done.

and i was thinking of using a ej22T ECU for better management...also a plus side?

not sure. I guess there are benefits to this, but if you are going w/engine management, like emanage, it might be redundant.

how will this not make it reliable?

I retract my use of absolute words like “will”. Nothing w/the right amount of research and use of engine controls is impossible. IMO it might be unreliable. This is more based on Murphy’s Law and other intangible thoughts flowing across my synapses. I think the most important thing to remember is that if you want to modify/fabricate, you need to either have time and skills or money to do it. I have spent less than 3k on my BRAT build b/c I did all of the work myself.

i really want to try to find a ej22T (closed deck) and boost that....will that be more reliable?

now that would be sick. You can do 20 lbs or so of boost. While you are at it you might as well put wings on the BRAT so it can glide for short distances. :grin:

As far as the intercooler, if you are wanting to stick with a TMIC I'd look for one from a WRX, or an upgrade for them. I would think that a stock wrx tmic would suffice for the level of boost you are wanting to run. You would just want to buy/make a defection piece like they have stock for the hood scoop air.

now that would be sick. You can do 20 lbs or so of boost. While you are at it you might as well put wings on the BRAT so it can glide for short distances. :grin:

The ej22t in its closed deck design has been known for heating issues under high power applications. The limits of radiator choices for an ea81 body is why I've tried to direct Dalton away from using a closed deck motor. For all practical purposes and the likely power output he will need to be truely happy, the ej18 hybrid, or an open deck ej22e with boost will do the job nicely.

wow guys thanks for the info...my thread is alive again!!!!

well i plan on getting/ wanting to break 200HP with the project....reliably and cheaply.

any body have info on ECU's i could run. blah blah blah.

im gonna go ahead and say this too, shannon knows but for the rest of you...

my metals teacher's rally buggy, is a subaru powered EJ18 with their own little turbo set up, completly stock except for a turbo, runnig 15lbs of boost....thats with stock N/a compression,ecu and all the other crap....and he says they last about 3 years on that kind of set up.:eek: :eek: :eek:

thanks so much for all the help guys....if you have any suggestions within reason(as far as my mechanic skills [not good enough to start with] and money wise) ill definatly be interested...remember ...power:headbang:

-Dalton

well i talked to the guys down at airport auto and got the prices of their subie engines and this is what i got....

EJ18- 350$

EJ22-650$-750$

EJ25 dohc(rs + turbo)-2500$$

no 22T's and no 20G's

i forgot to ask about eg33's and ez30's tho

but thats what i got outta that...im thinking it would be better to just do a 2.2 n/a swap anyways...but still.

-Dalton

well i talked to the guys down at airport auto and got the prices of their subie engines and this is what i got....

EJ18- 350$

EJ22-650$-750$

EJ25 dohc(rs + turbo)-2500$$

no 22T's and no 20G's

i forgot to ask about eg33's and ez30's tho

but thats what i got outta that...im thinking it would be better to just do a 2.2 n/a swap anyways...but still.

-Dalton

For 750 you could probably get a complete Legacy EJ22 donor car.

BW

For 750 you could probably get a complete Legacy EJ22 donor car.

BW

yeah tell me about it. there are some parts cars around here lately.....there was a forester for parts......haha 2.5l?

oh yeah.....do you need to mod the frame rails for dohc on an Ea82 car?

-Dalton.