Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all!

Got a small problem with my adjustable air suspension ('91 Legacy AWD). For some reason, the front left is always 1/2" lower than the right one. Doesn't matter if it's up or down, running or not.

Thought it was a leak but it doesn't get any lower, even after days of sitting in the driveway.

Any ideas what it could be and how to fix it? Is there a height sensor that could be tuned up so left and right sides are even?

Cheers

If your strut was flat it would go right down to the bump stop. Then the other side would too over time as they seem to be connected.

Has the low strut been changed recently? When I bought some used air struts at the junk yard, the guy there told me that ride heights varied by year and it was best to stick to struts from the same year car.

Don't know if it's true though, just what he told me.

Actually yes, firstwagon. That same strut was replaced 4 years ago, before I bought the car. Checked the part number and it is the correct part, covering Legacy 90-94, so should be the correct one. Doesn't seem to be any change in ride height from what I can gather from the catalogue...

Hmm, interesting to know there's some sort of height sensor inside the strut. Any idea how to get to it?

According to the mechanic's bill, the strut was a new one. Then again, he might have put on a used one and charged the price of a new one, who knows. Unless they come from the factory with different height setups depending on year of production??? (Same part but different preset height)

Barely noticeable anyway, so I'm not too keen on opening a can of worm just to fix a small problem like this one, for fear of what I might discover...

yeah, you definitely don't want to attempt to get at the height sensor, that won't happen. technically you could intercept the height sensor signals and move it up/down and see where the height triggers are, compare it to each side. but yeah that'd be a lot of work. i'd rather swap another used one in and see what happens than do all of that. i believe much of the air suspension stuff is at the front drivers side strut tower. there's a empty female plug there that allows access to various circuits...i know the compressor and all the solenoids, but i can't recall if the height sensor circuits are there, i'd guess not, but you could use that connector to air up/air down to do the test i just mentioned.

if problems arise, it is best to get rid of the air suspension, particularly with the legacy since it's so easy to get stuff for. air suspension stuff is real freaky. in a way it seems really simple since i've got billions of extra parts lying around, but it always seems to do bizarre things and can be very tricky. i like it on the XT6 so i keep it, but my suggestion is to not like, it's far easier and those people are much more sane than myself!