Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ciphering out the wiring harness, have ?'s

I've been going over the ECU and other wiring for the engine out of the '88 XT-6 I bought. I have a few posers for those who know.

There is a White connector, with 4 wires in it, heading for the tranny. This is not the Neutral switch. Wires are as follows:

Black

Light Green/White

Light Green

Light Blue/Red

What wire is what? I know one has to be for the Back-up lights, just don't know which one. Nor do I have a clue as to what the other ones are for.

Also, does anyone have the pin-out for a D/R 5spd tranny switches? Need to know which wire is which for the 4WD, Low-range, Reverse, and what not.

One more question.

There is a Diode shown, (in the schematic I have), that is on the wiring for the Ignition Relay.

Green/White and Black/White wires.

B/W wire comes from the Ignition "key on & start", and ECU pin #19.

G/W wire comes from the ECU, pin # 39, and controls the Ignition relays coil.

Apparently, this diode was in the interior wiring of the car, and I didn't get it. What is this diode? Can I just hook one in, and what size do I need?

Okay, that was more than just one question. So shoot me!

A diode?? Really?! I don't have one anywhere, least not that I know about. Did you pull out just the computer harness for the engine, or are you useing the whole harness from the XT? I used just the computer harness, and was able to condense it way down, taking out A LOT of things.

Terry;

Will do, as soon as I can find out where it is located.

Adam;

Yep, got the complete ECU wiring loom out to the engine. Been working on removing the extra wires, and such. The diagrams I have are here, http://xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1493 I'll tell you now, they are HUGE! The ECU wiring is in the 2nd diagram. Find the Fuel Pump and Ignition Relay's, (lower right side of diagram), then scroll up the page a bit, you'll see the Diode.

• 10 months later...

Was down to Jim's (86subaru) last Saturday. Picked up some steering parts from him of the XT he was scrapping out. Asked about the wiring harness, seems no one wanted it, so,,, I started eye-balling the heck out of it.

Found the Diode, kinda where I thought it would be, but wasn't real sure on it. It's located on the Main Wiring Harness, right where it makes the L-R split over the tranny tunnel, under the dash. Little 2 wire connector and Diode, both White, just taped to the outside of the harness.

Yet 1 more puzzle piece found. A couple more pieces, and it'll be time to start wrenching on this puppy.

Yeah Right!! Working 60 - 70 + hours a week, don't leave much time for wrenching. They just posted today, "Manditory Weekend". Sucks!!!!!!!!!! Worked Mo., Tu., We., and have 38 hours in already this week.

Starting to rant, better quit now..................