Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inner Axle Seal Blow Out

Durania

So while I was checking the status of my brakes today I noticed that I have a seal blow out where my CV axle meets the transmission [driver's side]. Looks like grease has been leaking out of it for some time now. Do you guys think this could be the source of my knocking sound at low speeds and maybe have something to do with my syncro issues?

2. What steps do I go about replacing this seal and can it be something that I can get at the local autozone?

Thanks.

Kyle.

I had to do both sides on mine.

Was able to get the parts at a local parts store. If I remember right it was under $10 for both.

There is a trick to it to make sure you tension the front diff bearings properly.

It helps if you have the special tool but I just made one out of an old chunk of the right sized exhaust pipe. You'll see what I'm talking about once you look at it more.

I beleive this is the link I was given when I did mine.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78975

have you check your fluid levels? is your manual trans gear oil (or front diff oil if an autotrans) low? if not, then it's not your transmission.

are you sure it's not just the cv axle leaking? has that axle ever been replaced? how long ago or how old is it? that would be ideal. and that would be more like "grease" rather than "oil". and a cv axle would make noise, a leaking front diff seal will not make noise..until it runs out and damages the trans.

the last post mentions details regarding a leak at the front differential axle seal. those are rather labor intensive and make absolutely certain they are reinstalled exactly as they sit right now. make sure it's not your CV boot leaking before assuming it's this seal.

• 6 years later...

Anyone have any luck locating the tool for removing the retainer from the axle stub shaft? Mine is leaking from the passenger side. The transmission is an 89' Subaru GL 5SPD Dual Range. Photo description below. Thanks for all the input in this thread. Any followups?

974224_10151767670548124_1765295055_n_zps5c24950a.jpg

To remove the axle, drive out the roll pin with a 3/16" drift punch. look for dasco brand blue tool at the hardware store if oyu don't have one. You will see a dimpled hole, drive the pin out form that side. Inside the axle cup, there is a plug between the inside and the stub shaft on the trans. That is likely your leak, runninh up the stub shaft and slangin' out of the roll pin holes.