Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I decided to do it, remove the crank sprocket. Can someone tell me the easiest way to do this (95 2.2), It would really be helpful if I could see a pic of the tool that you have used to remove it or a model number. Also while trying to get a screwdriver behind the sprocket. I cracked off one of those little tabs that are on the backside of the crank. Should I now replace the sprocket? it does not look as if it does anything. It appears to little to help with balancing it, let me know...

I'm one of those who had this problem, but didn't take pictures.

I posted a thread about this. In a few words, I was able to take the pulley off with a

3-jaw puller, actually assembled from three different ones, one Craftsman and two,

large and small, lended by PepBoys.

The arbor screw and hub were from Craftsman, others were too long to clear the AC condenser.

The jaws were from the smaller PepBoys unit, whose

claws were of the right shape, and the connecting links were from the larger

one, the only ones with enough reach. Plus I had to hold the jaws on the pulley with a big

screw-type hose clamp, and to place a suitable object

into the hollow end of the crank for the forcing screw to sit against.

Which tags (tabs?) did you break? The pulley is balanced by drilling holes.

Hopefully you didn't break the timing sprocket.

Are you trying to remove the crank pulley, or the crank sprocket? The crank sprocket drives the timing belt; the crank pulley is the harmonic dampener which also drives the accessory drive belts.

Either way, when either of those are hard to get off it is often corrosion between the crank snout and the pulley/sprocket. I apply good penetrating oil and try to let it get soaked back and down in there real good, this helps a lot.

For the crank pulley, I had good results freeing it be tapping it with a deadblow hammer different ways/directions and it came off.

For the crank sprocket, I kept gently prying behind it evenly on each side, using a strap wrench to nudge it clockwise, counterclockwise, etc, then when it started coming off and stopped, I applied more penetrating oil and tapped it all the way back on the snout, then repeated, getting a little further each time.

If you cracked one of tangs off the crank sprocket, you will probably want to replace it, since that's what the crank position sensor on the oil pump 'reads'.

I decided to do it, remove the crankshaft pulley. Can someone tell me the easiest way to do this (95 2.2), It would really be helpful if I could see a pic of the tool that you have used to remove it or a model number. Also while trying to get a screwdriver behind the pulley I cracked off one of those little tags that are on the backside of the crank. Should I now replace the pulley? it does not look as if it does anything. It appears to little to help with balancing it, let me know...

Here's my thread and pic of the setup in the USRM :

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78096

Lovely, looks like I will be replacing the sprocket due to a tab removal from a screwdriver. Not sure why I tried this... Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I did the same thing, but I had to remove it because the woodruff key was broken inside and the fragment jammed the gear. It's a cheap, but time consuming fix. 8mm tap, a little bar of steel at leat .25 thick and 2 inches wide, 4-5inches long, a couple bolts and nuts. If you have never tapped a thread from blank before, GO slowly, and back out the tap each 1/4 turn to snap teh chip you just cut. You will feel a little resistance as you break of the chip. Maybe practice on the steel bar. Where you might get that IDK. DO NOT BREAK OFF THE TAP in the gear.

It will take you an hour or so once you get all the stuff together, I did mine without removingthe radiator. Just put a piece of cqardboard behind it so ward off damage from errant wrenches.