Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Leg Wagon- No Dash Lights or Tail Lights

Hey everyone,

This morning on the way to work my dash lights died. After getting there, I noticed the tail lights and all the marker lights are not working either. ALL FUSES ARE GOOD! Headlights are still working.

Gotta get this fixed fast, as I can't exactly drive at night with no lights... and the days aren't getting any longer.

Ideas?

Turns out they were indeed related!

Last time I had taillight problems, the problem went away. This time it didn't. After the first time I was blowing fuses, I went crazy checking wires and testing with a multimeter, and never could find anything- but it was a moot point because it quit blowing the fuses for over two months, until today..

I noticed today's problem on the way to work, and checked the fuses when I got to the office, didn't find any blown ones-then made that first post.

About halfway through the workday it dawned on me that I hadn't checked that single fuse under the hood for the marker lights, labeled LIGHTING SW. That one was blown! Put a new fuse in, and it blew within a quarter mile. Put a third one in, and it blew when I shut the door. So I put yet another fuse in, and went around banging on all the lights- left front turn signal blew the fuse when I banged on it. It turns out the positive lead for the marker light was chafing on the body of the car, and had rubbed the insulation off.

Problem solved! Such a pain to find though, had to get to the point to where it was almost a dead short before I could track it down.

I hate electrical troubleshooting. Makes me feel like such an idiot whenever it turns out to be something so obvious.