Ultimate Subaru Message Board

advance timing 2 degrees

gatlinburg..nice, i'll be there tomorrow.

anyway, a board member here dyno'ed his XT6 (EA82 + 2 more cylinders) through intake, exhaust, cam, and timing changes. the timing change made the largest hp improvement so says the machine. i forget what he bumped it but he has to run 93 octane which you're already doing.

I never ran my EA81 or EA82's at stock timing. I always bumped it up a notch or 2. The performance increase is noticable. they want it at 8 degree's (for a EA81) for emissions purposes. I ran mine at 10-12 degree's. Depending on your elevation.

For someone who lives at 10,000... How many degrees advance?

when setting my timing i disconect and plug the 2 vac lines on my distributor, set the idle at about 700 like it says.

it has a very slight miss and my timing mark isn't steady. it kinda drifts back and forth a couple degrees so theres a little guessing involved.

the drifting is consistent (if that makes sense) not wild but wondering what might cause this.

also should i change plug gap or anything to optimize performance?

gatlinburg..nice, i'll be there tomorrow.

anyway, a board member here dyno'ed his XT6 (EA82 + 2 more cylinders) through intake, exhaust, cam, and timing changes. the timing change made the largest hp improvement so says the machine. i forget what he bumped it but he has to run 93 octane which you're already doing.

im actually taking off for a couple days so sorry i'll miss you. and there is a tunnel between gatlinburg and pigeon forge with one lane closed so be warned traffic will be a b*tch. enjoy you stay.

i usually bump up to as much as 25 or 27 deg. 25 deg is just fine on pump gas. spfi and carbs are set for 20 deg.

this helps her rev out inthe higher rpms and runs more smoothly with my open exhaust.

in my conjuncture of various exhaust setups i find you can tune the timing to the exhaust pulse. you can almost hear the exhaut pulse move up and down the pipe and then tune it to where the pulse is right at the end of the pipe.

i run a 2 inch cherry bomb immediately after the y pipe and then 1 3/4 or 2 inch pipe to the rear axle, then end there or turn out to the side

how is gatlinburg? i went through there twice on 2006 and 2007 BABE rally. "Nug" from the board here went on this trip too. i was the one in the crazy toyota camper withthe u-haul trailer behind it, following the beat up VW van withthe words in tape 'show me your I' after the park rangers made them take off the t,the t, and the s