Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In-glass Antenna/Reception

Have just replaced the OEM CD player in my 2003 Legacy SE wagon with a Kenwood unit. However, the FM and AM reception is now very weak. The tuner itself seems to be fine, since it will work with very strong signals.

Expecting the issue to be that the antenna was not reconnected, I took everything apart again, only to discover this was not the case.

Although the antenna is etched on to the rear side window, am I right to assume this is the same as any other antenna, and I don't need asignal amp or suchlike ?

Since part of the install included a Sirius sat radio tuner, including routing its cable from the rear to the front, I'm afraid there's a cable short or something. Before going that investigation route, I wanted to check the basics - i.e. if the antenna cable is connected to the unit, it should work!

Did you do the replacement yourself?

Either way, I would check to make sure the actual antenna plug has not broken off. As in the center conductor of the plug may have disconnected from the pin that goes into your radio. A somewhat easy (however not the best for the reciever) way to check is to unplug the antenna from the unit, tune it to a somewhat strong station (not too strong) then plug the connector back in and see if the signal changes at all.

I am not too familar with the on-glass antennas that subaru uses, however they should work fine for AM/FM use. A piece of wire works great too!:banana:

Thanks for the tips - trawling through alt.rec.autos.subaru indicates that there is an amplifier built in for the in glass antenna, and that it needs power from the head unit. Certainly sound like mine isn't connected...

Trouble is, I'm not sure which wire needs connecting to what... Guess I could resort to a quick subscription to the technical section of subaru.com and get the wiring info, but if anyone has this info (or url to audio install stories) I'd really appreciate it!

Not sure about the Legacy/Outback, but the Forester has a 14 pin connector. looking into the CAR connecter end, across the top are 3 pins, Locking tab, 3 pins. These are numbered 1,2,3,TAB,4,5,6. Across the bottom are 8 pins numbered 7 thru 14. Pin 14 supplys power to the Antenna amp. As described, looking into the 'face' of the connector on the car, it's on the lower right. On the 02,03 Forester the wire is Blue/Red tracer. On one's I've done, either use the Power Ant lead from the Radio, OR connect it to the ACC coming to the radio on lead #10, so the Antenna amp come on when the key is in the ACC position and suppling power to the radio.

Hope this Helps......:-)