Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to buy axle assembly, or just cv joint, 1984 GL 4wd wagon

I just bought a 1984 GL 4wd wagon! After 14 years without a Subaru, it feels good to drive one again.

I bought the car without personally inspecting it. The seller told me he was not mechanically inclined, and he did the best he could to describe it.

Here is a picture of the front passenger side DOJ boot

IMG_1441_cv_boot_20prct.jpg

As you can see, it is beginning to rip, and needs to be replaced. Amazingly, the car doesn't make any grinding sounds going down the road, or around a corner.

I heard on Click 'n' Clack the a whole rebuilt drive shaft assembly can now be purchased, for what a CV joint used to cost.

Are there any good companies where I can order the drive shaft assembly?

By drive shaft I am having to assume you mean the CV axle. What comes to my mind with "drive shaft" is the shaft that runs from the back of the tranny to the differential. As for axles, MWE and Subaru axles are the ones to go with. I have made the mistake twice of using a parts store axle. For example, my Brat's left side axle knocks under acceleration and my Legacy with an axle installed in January, clicks when turned all the way toward the left. Just go to the dealership and save yourself the time, money, and trouble.