Ultimate Subaru Message Board

did I do the right thing getting 03 legacy S/Ed SW?

I had a 99 Legacy OB SW w/70K ( DOHC 2.5 )...I had been chasing a hard shifting trans problem w/no luck(no codes being set) and the engine was developing some noises awa being low on power(was really sluggish)...exiting dealer parts dept I spotted a 03 legacy sw special edition(moonroof,16" bbs type wheels and 55 series bridgestone tires) w/ 3,000 rebate w/2.9 % ..3,500 equity out of the 99 OB did the deal...tried to remember all the posts from the forums about legacy owners and what they had to do to improve their vehicles...I am finding this 03 legacy handles much better than the OB did...seems to "turn" into the corners and not plow ...I seem to recall a post about legacy's responding better to mod's than the Outbacks, anyway I hope I did the right thing....bd

The SE cars are a good deal, you just got a slightly decontented 2.5GT!

When the shocks fail, replace them with aftermarket KYB GR2 or AGX ones and swap the rear sway bar for a stiffer one and you will have better handling than the GT too!

The SE has the same engine as the GT and is lighter, so it actually accelerates better.

The only other things missing beside some trim items are the 6-cd changer (aftermarket radios are better), rear LSD diff, the 4 beam headlights, and the option of the Sportshift 4EAT.

The only downside of the SE is resale value, but this applies to the GT as well. The demand is higher for the Outback so it tends to hold value a little better, but you pay more up front too.

Yes, Alias...thanks....I was trying to remember the differences between the legacy GT wagon and what was listed on this legacy se...(Shocks and swaybar upgrades)...I also remembered that Teagues Auto had a legacy project car and I am sure he can tell me a step-by-step upgrade for the 03 se...tks bill

sixiron, you can add us to the happy 2003 L SE crowd. Wife bought one while we were visiting our daughter in Colorado. A 5 speed sedan, drove it back to eastern NC and it was a mighty comfortable ride. Bought in July and now have 10.5k miles on it. If you compare them to the Accord or Camery I think they are a better buy and resale is middle of the pack, plus all wheel drive bonus. You will need that more than us on the coast. I hope it holds up as well as my daughter's 93 Legacy fwd, 159k and still getting it. Hope you enjoy and Merry Christmas, Glenn Taylor.