Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

#^@($# Intake manifold bolt.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spokanesoob

spokanesoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Spokane Wa

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

wow, so i broke a bolt on each side of the manifold one slid out and i was able to get the head off on that side but the other bolt is stuck so i have a head sitting on a manifold. i tryed to twist it off but it seems like there is something holding it up. i would like to get the heads into the shop soon this is really making me mad. anybody got any ideas? 88rx ea82T :mad:

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

oh yes, i've posted lots of information on this. i've written a huge post on this before but won't rehash it all.

is the head still on on the engine?

the bolt sheared off inside the intake manifold hole and now won't come out right? if it's not sheared off you have a few more options but i think it's too late for that?

unbolt the head and pull the entire head with intake out of the car.
have an engine lift...try hydraulic force to pull it off...i don't recommend it but i'd do it!
PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, deep creep, and heat that thing up a few times.

sometimes, if the intake will budge at all, i've been able to get a sawzall between the intake and head to cut the bolt and free the intake. being careful of course not to damage the mating surfaces of the head/intake.

and of course you always have the option to drill it out. i'd get a very high quality drill bit and drill it out. cheap drill bits make this job suck.

#3 spokanesoob

spokanesoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Spokane Wa

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

well the heads off and it has about a 1/4 inch gap but i think im going to try the drill method my dad works at a machine shop so i dont think it would be hard to get a good bit.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

my dad works at a machine shop

that's nice (crosses arms and gets jealous). that's what i'd do then, you won't have any problems doing it that way. annoying, but straight forward at least.

#5 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:42 AM

Can you get a buddy and play tug o war? One has the head the other has the intake and twist and pull?

#6 spokanesoob

spokanesoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Spokane Wa

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:00 AM

well i got it out today. got it far enought to twist the head and off it came.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users