Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what to look for on 2001 forester for sale

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 2001 forester from a dealer that got it on a trade in? it has 174k miles. It is a really really great price. It is an automatic aswell. I have never owned an automatic. Anythings imparticular that i should check out when testing it. I am pretty sure the head gasket problems were limited to 97-99 2.5's.

thanks

jake

I am pretty sure the head gasket problems were limited to 97-99 2.5's.
nope, EJ25 issues extend beyond 1999. you can search here or google, or Yahoo for more info on that. this 2001 will have SOHC PhaseII head gasket issues which are different from the earlier models you mentioned, but they have HG issues nonetheless (what a STRANGE word!?!?).

good price from a dealer? that's a lot of miles...at least for what i'd imagine a dealer is charging for it. they've probably barely got anything in it.

drive in tight circles and check for torque bind. after working the best deal you can (there's TONS Of profit in used cars), then require them to flush the trans fluid before you'll buy.

it'll also be do for a $699 (subaru's price) timing belt job in only 25,000 miles. price goes up as you include the water pump and any noisey pulleys, which will need to happen as well. water pump $100, pulleys $100 each, tensioner $100...it can add up quick, even to $300+ if you do it yourself just for parts. i'd let them know you're not excited about the prospect of a $500-$1,000 tune up in a year or less. i'd consider asking them about this after negotiating the best deal you can as well.

thanks Gary. I will keep that in mind. I know all to well about tb pulley going. It happenend on my 97 outback. THey are asking 3700 which I am guessing they won't go any lower on. maybe they will but that is a pretty good price.

thanks

Jake

the great thing about the Phase II SOHC head gasket issues is that they are very easy to spot. if you don't know, find out where the heads (there are two on subaru engines) meet the engine block. inspect the rear mating areas of the head and block, that's where you'll see evidence of seapage.

not too mention these head gaskets leaks are far more tolerable than the earlier versions. these won't over heat unless you let them run low on coolant. as long as you keep them from running low on coolant and overheating you can essentially keep driving them.

the earlier models can be bad but might not show themselves very easily. they are sneaky jokers when they leak internally and don't show themselves but sporadically at first.

Take her up to 40 or 50 mph on a country road and then do a good controlled hard stop. My 2001 Forester had some rubbing/pulsing (Not ABS on a dry clean surface) sensation that would vary in the brakes when making stops like that. That was in the first year of ownership. Don't know if the rotors were warped. I traded it in after 3 years for something bigger.

That is also the first year of the first redesign of the Forester and vehicles in the first year of a redesign tend to have a few more problems. They may have all been taken care of by 175K but it is something to throw at the dealer to lower the price.

I ran my 1999 Forester to 200,000 miles with very few problems. However, my big concern with a car with 175,000 miles would be the AT. With a little luck, Subaru engines can run a long, long time time. After 150,000 miles, even a well designed AT can be on borrowed time.

Another thing, at 170,000 miles that Subaru is an "auction" car. That car has way too many miles for many dealers to put it on their lot. Hopefully, you can get a very good price on it. Let it set on the dealer's lot for couple of months and see if he has a change of heart.