Ultimate Subaru Message Board

30 inch tire question

michael appel

why convert to solid axles?part of the reason why subies do so well offroad is because they dont weigh anything.seems like adding weight would be a step backwards.plus the IFS/IRS makes the car like a sled through mud because the diff isnt hanging down like an anchor.

Personally if I were to convert a Subaru to solid front and rear I'd go buy a better truck. Subarus make great cheap good road cross over cars. If you want to offroad better, go faster or buy something else.

Oh, is this why the offroad section is dying, because of comments like this. Sorry. If you really want a Subaru and really want great offroad ability, then go for it. Its just a hell of a lot of work.

totally right though I was sitting around the fire at a friends and I just want to go bigger looks like I will be converting it to straight axles It will be a job but that seems to be the right thing to do

go for it! a sami or divorced yota tcase to some 4 or 3 linked suspension. don't waste the time on leafs. actually all you need is the rear to be toyota solid axle, put the divorced case in and a legacy rear diff up front. that will match the 4.10 gearing

Well to comment on it most trucks that you buy are cool but there is always the strive to make it better or bigger and then you need bigger axles to provide for that Im looking for in between and I dont want a truck because I take my whole family and suvs dont even come with straight axles up front any more nor would it fit on a trail without being beat to hell I want a small wagon like mine with the ability to crawl over obstacles and dont need to throttle all the time otherwise I would toss on a 30 and aim for where ever I need to go. If I wanted practical I wouldnt have looked at a subaru but I want adventure I have a welder and I like my vehicles to have a part of me inside and outside of it.

So my project will come at least the engine will be stock but the rest will be

?

Well to comment on it most trucks that you buy are cool but there is always the strive to make it better or bigger and then you need bigger axles to provide for that Im looking for in between and I dont want a truck because I take my whole family and suvs dont even come with straight axles up front any more nor would it fit on a trail without being beat to hell I want a small wagon like mine with the ability to crawl over obstacles and dont need to throttle all the time otherwise I would toss on a 30 and aim for where ever I need to go. If I wanted practical I wouldnt have looked at a subaru but I want adventure I have a welder and I like my vehicles to have a part of me inside and outside of it.

So my project will come at least the engine will be stock but the rest will be

?

go for it. yota ifs rear axles are about the same width as a stock subaru rearend and 4.10 gears.

approx. 47 to 50:1 (can't remember exactly what suby first gear was, i used 3.65)

stock subaru 18:1

so about 2.5 times stock.

you sure it's 2:1? i could of sworn it was aout 2.25:1 i remember it being just below the toyota's case ratio...

well here it goes I cant spend anything for awhile so I am saving but I am watching for deals and waiting so I will post my project when I start

well if you want one that is already beat up and has an 8" lift and tcase with 4.11's... just let me know... mine will be for sale soon...

actually all you need is the rear to be toyota solid axle, put the divorced case in and a legacy rear diff up front. that will match the 4.10 gearing

Now this is an idea I think is good. Not to hard to set up and will work well with a rear auto locker. Shouldn't need more then 1 solid axle. My brothers 4runner does about as good as an unlocked Subaru just in RWD