Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cam case Qs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spokanesoob

spokanesoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Spokane Wa

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

what should the drivers side cam case look like when you re-install it? im assuming that the lobes shouldn't be pushing down the rockers? also were should the DISTY be i think it might have moved when i did the cam seals.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,510 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

what should the drivers side cam case look like when you re-install it? im assuming that the lobes shouldn't be pushing down the rockers? also were should the DISTY be i think it might have moved when i did the cam seals.

Actually the lobes of the cam do push on the rockers once installed. It is the only thing holding them in place on the HLAs

For the disty, just wait till you get Timing belts back on. Then bring the crank to TDC #1 on the compression stroke (easy to watch if you don't put valve covers on yet.) Now drop the disty in with the rotor pointed at #1. Use a light to time.

#3 spokanesoob

spokanesoob

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Spokane Wa

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

ok, i will wait and put the belts on check everything out, thanks

#4 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:59 PM

To make it easier to put the cam tower on, spin the camshaft so the key is straight up. That will put it in a postition where none of the rockers are being depressed. Much easier to align and bolt together then.

-Dave

#5 audio_file

audio_file

suberunknown

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • Everett, Wa

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

To make it easier to put the cam tower on, spin the camshaft so the key is straight up. That will put it in a postition where none of the rockers are being depressed. Much easier to align and bolt together then.

-Dave

this is what the factory service manual says to do also ^^^^
the rockers won't move once the cam housing is in place, i use a generous amount of 10-40w on the end of the lifter and inside the rocker's cup and they stay just fine till you can get the cam housing on

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,510 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

this is what the factory service manual says to do also ^^^^
the rockers won't move once the cam housing is in place, i use a generous amount of 10-40w on the end of the lifter and inside the rocker's cup and they stay just fine till you can get the cam housing on

Grease works way better. Just don't use long strand wheel bearing grease.

Anything else though, CV grease, high temp bearing grease, or the best, engine assembly lube/grease.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,306 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

Grease works way better.

+1. i'd avoid using WD40 inside an engine like the plague. but maybe i don't know what i'm talking about?

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,510 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

+1. i'd avoid using WD40 inside an engine like the plague. but maybe i don't know what i'm talking about?

I think he meant 10w-40 motor oil. Fine for the motor, just doesn't hold the rockers in place as well as grease.

#9 audio_file

audio_file

suberunknown

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • Everett, Wa

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

I think he meant 10w-40 motor oil. Fine for the motor, just doesn't hold the rockers in place as well as grease.

bingo, i never could remember where the "w" goes :dead: and at the time, i knew some type of grease was a bad thing, just not which, so i avoided all grease just to be safe . . .:rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users