Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Side Mirror on 1997 Legacy/Outback

Hey everyone,

While backing I managed to snap the entire passenger side mirror assembly on my 1997 Legacy/Outback. It was a clean break but the plug and the plastic triangle covering the screws (or whatever) is still attached to the car.

I've been looking around some on where I could find a replacement mirror, but I'm not sure what will actually fit my car. I see plenty of 1995 Legacy power, non-heated mirrors for sale, but will this fit the 1997 model? Also, any tips on how to replace the mirror would be helpful. I do own a repair manual for my Subaru, but I've heard that a couple of the screws could be nasty to get off and that I might have to take the inside door panel off. Also, how do I deal with the speaker that is mounted inside the car opposite the side view mirror?

Thank you all!

I replaced the passanger door mirror on my wife's 98 Leggy OBW last summer. I tracked several down in wrecking yards, only not to have the needed tool to remove from the donor car. You do not remove the inner door panel. Instead, you remove the plastic triangular shaped cover on the inside of the car, that fits to the inside of the mirror. Just gently pry with a screw driver to get the plastic clips to release. Once removed, you will need to remove four philips head screws. One or two screws were super tight to remove. A regular philips head screw driver would not give enough leverage to loosen the screws. I had to use a 3/8 inch ratchet drive with philips tip. I had to push in really hard on the ratchet drive handle, while turning at the same time.

My replacement mirror has electric motor adjustment, but is not heated. So, I did not hook up the separate connector for heat.

If you have the little speaker, it is easy to move it out of the way. It is not a difficult job, except for philips screw removal.

My replacement mirror from a yard cost $75.

wow!....i managed to pick one up for about 25$ for my 96 legacy for my drivers side about a year ago.....than again mine is just a black mirror that didnt need to be painted.......but i would def. check out all your local junkyards before you pay big....who knows you might get lucky!:)