Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new owner wondering type of gas

Hello all just pick up an Outback 99 Limited and so far love it. Made a Drive from Portland, Or to Fort Collins, CO in two days to pick the car up. I was wondering what type of gas people put in their Subarus that live in CO. We have 85, 87 and 91 Oct. for gas. I read in the book to use 87 but not sure what other people in the area use or think about using 85. Thanks for the any replies. Chris

Originally posted by asuman1179

Hello all just pick up an Outback 99 Limited and so far love it. Made a Drive from Portland, Or to Fort Collins, CO in two days to pick the car up. I was wondering what type of gas people put in their Subarus that live in CO. We have 85, 87 and 91 Oct. for gas. I read in the book to use 87 but not sure what other people in the area use or think about using 85. Thanks for the any replies. Chris

Due to your high elevation, I belive your AKI's of 85, 87, and 91 are equivalent to AKI's of 87, 89, and 93, respectively, in the "lowlands". Therefore, 85 should suffice.

In the 80's I was using BP exclusively until I bought an 88 Celica. It was almost new and after I bought it, it started running rough and even stalled a couple times. I took it back to the dealer and their first question was "Are you using BP gas?" They said they had a bunch of customers with the same problem and suggested I try Shell. I've been using Shell ever since that day. The car ran fine for the next 9 years until I traded it for a piece of junk 300ZX.

Originally posted by oregonloyale

I have found NO difference in performance or mileage when using higher octane gas in my 93 legacy wagon.

I have however noticed a HUGE difference in mileage and performance while using ONLY chevron gas , about a 5 mile increase in mileage compared to all the other fuels out there.

5 miles per gallon, or 5 miles per tank? You're running Chevron 87 AKI? Makes me wish there were Chevron stations near me. I do occasionally use their Techron concentrate.

AKI means (I think) Anti-Knock Index. Myles is right about higher elevations requiring less octane rating. There is less Oxygen, less manifold pressure to lead to "pinging" under load. This applies mostly to naturally aspirated (non-turbo or non-supercharged) engines. Use 85 if manual recommends 87. You will be astounded at the improvement in range/economy, disregarding price of course.

About the octane: you need HIGHER octane at lower altitude because there's more oxygen in the air for the mixture to combust correctly.

I drive a '92 turbo Legacy Touring Wagon LE, and here in Denver I can use the "premium" 89 octane. But at lower altitude I have to use 93-94 octane, or it will start detonating (pinging) like a demon! :madder:

While the pinging itself is just annoying, and you don't feel a loss of power, if you use lower octane you're putting yourself at serious risk of burnt exhaust valves. And believe me, they WILL burn...we see them in EJ25s all the time.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Originally posted by oregonloyale

I noticed a total mileage (per tank) increase from 250 miles to 275 miles and this is mostly city driving in my AWD.

I live in Oregon so I dont know what the AKI's are or mean just a laymans revue.

In the US, two tests are used to determine a fuel's resistance to knock. I believe both tests use small, single-cylinder test engines. The one test results in a number called the "Research Octane Number" (RON). I believe this is what the Europeans and Aussies use. The other test results in a number called the "Motor Octane Number". The average of these two numbers is called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI). That's what we see posted on the pumps in the US. In fact, if you look closely at the pump, you'll see (R + M)/2 posted somewhere, which, of course, is saying that the number posted on the pump is the average of the Motor and Research Octane Numbers.