Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could this be the source of my problems.... (WARNING PICTURES INSIDE)

GD, you should start making custom harnesses so people wont have to yard out old stuff. :) There you go, make a kit and sell it.

i don't think that would be very lucrative, probably not even worth it for either party in fact. especialy not worth it (imo) when you consider the harness can be bought from a yard for $10 - $20 around here. i'd rather spend the time on it than money and come out with intimate knowledge of my car.

i think that if someone wants to do the swap they should do their own harness. gave me a much better understanding of the system and made me much more comfortable with working on it and all auto electrical in general.

GD, you should start making custom harnesses so people wont have to yard out old stuff. :) There you go, make a kit and sell it.

I gave it a thought a while back - unfortunately my time isn't terribly cheap and there's a good 4 hours in a harness strip. I'm afraid the cost would make it unattractive to those who are likely to be interested in the SPFI swap.

GD

ive been throwing around the idea..... i have a brand new pic 34 VW beetle carb.... would i be able to make that economical if i built a adapter and what not lol

Why? Get a DFV - the Holly/Weber 5200 was used on many, many Fords and can be had for peanuts on ebay - brand new/rebuilt. It's a licensed copy of the Weber 32/36 DFV. You just have to tune the jetting and buy an adaptor plate.

GD

It's easy - you'll figure it out. Wait and ask questions when you start. In the meantime read some posts on installing.

I don't like the kits - they don't include the linkage parts, and they come with the 3" filter - it is too large to fit under the hood of the EA81 without rubbing. You'll have to get a 1.5" filter element and the clips, and you'll have to make your own linkage bracket. I use the old linkage bracket but mount it to the carb stud on the passenger rear of the base - you have to bend it and tweak it but it works well.

Thus the kits really aren't useful for the price. Although $350 isn't too bad.

GD

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF ..... after i bought the weber and got it on it's way to my house i go fill up my brat cause my gas gauge showed 1/4 of a tank i got 25 mpg..... i have no idea what happened.... maybe making the vacuum advance work helped or the computer had to relearn everything although i donno if thats possible on this old tech...

i got it from a Redline dealer in Yakima washington very reputable been around a long time who is getting rid of obsolet stock

If it's like mine was, you'll be left wondering what they were thinking (or not thinking) when they decided what goes into it. If it's old stock then you may run into it either being jetted wrong, or the float adjusted incorrectly. Weber has gone through some poor quality phases when their production went to Mexico a few years ago. They say it's all sorted out now, but I bought my kit in 2003 and I had to adjust the float myself. Besides that and the kit being a total rip-off the carb itself has been flawless - just put it on my 83 hatch a few days ago because I was sick of 23 MPG on the stock Hitachi.

Please take a picture of the contents of your "kit" as I would be interested to see how it differs from mine. Litereally all mine had was the carb, the 3" filter, and the adaptor plate. And some pretty useless instructions.

GD