Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RX diff lock switch wiring

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:24 PM

How does the diff lock switch work?

I heard that it was vacumm activated?

How do you check to see if it's working right?

Thanks

BW

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,104 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

It's excactly the same as the Pushbutton S/R trans 2wd/4wd solenoids. Same Solenoids, same type of switching, same vacuum actuator cable(?) Parts are as follows:

2 solenoids, supplied with vacuum. (solenoids for 2wd/4wd S/R are the same)

A double sided vacuum diaphraghm that Pushes/Pulls a cable

Cable connected to a lever on the side of the trans that slides the lock collar inside the trans.

Switch is a Single pole, Double Throw, no *off* type.

I've always thought it would be cool to use a S/R pushbutton shifter as the DiffLock button on a Fulltime trans.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

I've always thought it would be cool to use a S/R pushbutton shifter as the DiffLock button on a Fulltime trans.

that's what I'm running. Loyale shifter/knob with '85 hi/low shifter on my RX trans.

he pretty much got it. as for the wiring side. 2 wires to each solenoid, one gets grounded, and the other is switched power. when the power wire is turned on, the solenoid opens and let's the vacuum through to the diaphragm on the trans.

#4 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

ok so I got my vacuum hose hooked up to the solenoids and the diaphram.

but the diff lock will not turn on. I only saw it turn on once while driving on the freeway. I forgot to turn it off. I have yet to see it again.

Is there some way of testing it to see what it wrong? is there something I need to clean to make it work better?

BW

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

first you have to figure out what isn't working.....if it's just the indicator light, vacuum leak, electrical problem etc.

start by putting the car on ramps, and try locking/unlocking the diff and seeing if the lever on the side of the trans moves. then test for power/ground at the solenoids when engaged, then make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users