Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door dingers??

I spend alot of time camping up in the olympic mounains iout of the back of the Riverrat.most of the time she is backed up to a campfire with the radio going.Of course this leaves me with the back hatch open.This in turn leaves me listening to the god awfull door dinger..ding dong..ding dong.Not realy because I learned how to unplug one a long time ago, drunk around a campfire.

Edit:All it took to unplug mine was the removal of the glove box.Then simply unplug the darn thing.

What has always baffled me is how does the rat know the back hatch is open????There is no pin switch in the hatch jamb.Is there a mercurary switch,a mechanical switch on the latch?Just a bit of trivea really but it has always baffled me.I installed two extra dome lights on the back hatch to help light up camp and saw nothing to trigger the door dinger.

My fishing budy who got me into subarus 10 years ago is also on suby 2.I forget which year exactly but it is a mid 90 legacy.He brought it to a mechanic for some engine work and asked the wrench if he could yank the door dinger.He was told that it was to involved with the computer to remove,suby wouldn't run.does any body know if this is true and if it is not, anybody get sick enough of the darn thing to remove it??

Every Soob from 1982 (or maybe earlier) to my 1999 Forester (maybe later) has had the dinger mounted somewhere behind the dash, covered by a little plastic cutout/vent/speaker grille. The only model I'm not sure about is the Justy, since I haven't found the dinger in mine yet.

I would install a toggle switch on the speaker wire, that way the dinger is there when you need it, gone when you don't. (Not that one ever really needs it, but I also wouldn't cannibalize a mid-90s Legacy.)

• 2 weeks later...

On my '85 wagon, the connector for the dinger was under the dash, right next to the green test connector. It was a black wire with white connectors, I think. At any rate, it was a single wire connector, just like the green test connector is. Unplug it, and voila! No noise.

I was in dinger hell a couple of months ago, one of the switches was broken and it would come on randomly, one time I was sleeping, and I woke up and heard this ding... ding... ding... it happened a couple of times, I eventually replaced the switch, but I still wake up sometimes hearing that noise... and screaming, but thats another story:D