Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PDX area wheelers!

TeamCF

Time is running out for all the good wheelin'

Snow will be on the trails soon. (well not like next week but you get the idea)

Scoobyclimbs is almost got his new hatch rollin'. (I'm off to help put the lift in right now)

We are gonna need an outing soon.

I know everyone has been itching to wheel all summer and now it's almost over .

So everyone pipe up.

When and where do you want to go?

We've got:

Hood river area.

Mt.Hood area.

Goat/Estacada/Colton area.

TSF.

Somewhere new???

ect. ect. ect.

I might me in for one of your guys runs. I would like to try some new places, maybe just take a weekend and head down your neck of the woods. I'll keep up with this thread and see what's going on. Maybe I could talk some of the other guys into going too.

Jeff

I might me in for one of your guys runs. I would like to try some new places, maybe just take a weekend and head down your neck of the woods. I'll keep up with this thread and see what's going on. Maybe I could talk some of the other guys into going too.

Jeff

Coolness. :)

I know it's gonna be a week or two before scoobyclimb's hatch is going. But I also know (just came from the shop from helping him work on it) that he is way stoked to get it on the trails. :headbang:

I'm sure there will be some "little" runs (as in small group) But I'm talkin' everyone around here that wants to wheel. All at once. :burnout:

So hopefully we get it planned with enough notice so you can get a crew together to come down.

damn, too bad I'm moving this weekend...

although I've been so busy I haven't done a lot of needed maintenance on my car... which means it's an even better time to beat it up on the trails so I can fix everything at once! (:

oh well, maybe I'll find some monstrous hills in WI to drive over... maybe an overpass or something... hehe...

--Spiffy

i would love to join for a saturday or sunday romp in the woods. i usualy go to browns camp/lees camp for wheelin, my 82 might not make it back if i go too much further. post when and were, this up comming weekend i am going to do some light wheelin and scouting for hunting season up in the area of hagg lake.

Spiffy are you moving away?! Or just moving someone out there?

Good luck and safe travels either way.

So I may be going out to TSF to meet up with a Rubi to do some wheelin' this sunday.

Proly be early.

The Cascade Cruisers poker run is going on too. (Not sure if they'll still be out there sunday though, the big event is on saturday)

I'm still slightly up in the air on it. As is he. But a good chance this will happen. If that does not I'm sure I'll be wheeling around here some where instead.

So Chaz.

Lets go. :burnout:

If we make it out that way. V8vega, you 're welcome to join. (Hagg Lake out near Hillsboro, right? that's kinda close to TSF)

TSF meetups are usually at the Shell station before Brown's camp on HWY 6 around 8:30-9 am.

Maps and OHV permits can usually be had there too.

Now just gotta see if it all works out to happen. :)

Edited by TeamCF

well was going to go up to Squaw Mtn. to check on my geocache, it does require a 4wd especially with a locked or welded rear diff., atleast for a subaru.

but TSF sounds good to could go up to Squaw next week.

keep me informed jason.

to bad to see you moving spiffy, goodluck.

Hmmm... I wonder if I have that one saved in my GPS... (I downloaded a bunch around me and the Goat/west of Estacada areas)

There is one up near the top of Goat but I went to find it and it seems to be gone. The spot id kinda torn up so it could still be there just buried.

I've been up Squaw a month or so ago, just before WCSS 10. Fun times gettin' to the top. There was a nasty mud hole. And a nasty off camber spot with a Soob swallowing ditch on the low side. And that was when it was dry. Should be pretty hairy getting past the ditch in the rain. :eek:

TSF would be fun (And I've been wanting to get some runs in before it starts snowing out there) but close to home could be fun too.

I'll keep an eye on what the guy with the Rubi is gonna do. He was a possibly as well.

I could always go with ya so you could check your stuff, and we could wheel some after/before/during. :)

Hmmm... I wonder if I have that one saved in my GPS... (I downloaded a bunch around me and the Goat/west of Estacada areas)

There is one up near the top of Goat but I went to find it and it seems to be gone. The spot id kinda torn up so it could still be there just buried.

I've been up Squaw a month or so ago, just before WCSS 10. Fun times gettin' to the top. There was a nasty mud hole. And a nasty off camber spot with a Soob swallowing ditch on the low side. And that was when it was dry. Should be pretty hairy getting past the ditch in the rain. :eek:

TSF would be fun (And I've been wanting to get some runs in before it starts snowing out there) but close to home could be fun too.

I'll keep an eye on what the guy with the Rubi is gonna do. He was a possibly as well.

I could always go with ya so you could check your stuff, and we could wheel some after/before/during. :)

well my other thought about going up there was to continue on that road past Squaw lake and see what kind of road it is. i've been on the eastside of that road coming from High Rocks to a point where you had to go under a log and make a hard right up a steep hill and hard left but it was me and my son and it was late on a sunday so we didn't attempt it. but i've been wanting to come that way from the west and see what its like, exploritory run but never gottin to it.

so do you Geocache? we placed one at the summit of Squaw about 3 years ago just haven't made it up there this year to check on it.

is that every weekend the group meets at the shell station or is that just every once in a while? i do like wheelin browns camp, bi sadly i havent been able to take my wagon up there yet. i have just gone in my brat and in my wifes blazer.

on a side note some dork my wife works with was boasting that he knocked the can opener rock off the creekside at browns camp. (i think it is on archers firebrake). i would like to see this for myself because that rock was the size of

a school bus. tread lightly.

if anyone wants to get together next weekend for some trails let me know. (the 82 is not lifted but it does have larger tires)

well my other thought about going up there was to continue on that road past Squaw lake and see what kind of road it is. i've been on the eastside of that road coming from High Rocks to a point where you had to go under a log and make a hard right up a steep hill and hard left but it was me and my son and it was late on a sunday so we didn't attempt it. but i've been wanting to come that way from the west and see what its like, exploritory run but never gottin to it.

so do you Geocache? we placed one at the summit of Squaw about 3 years ago just haven't made it up there this year to check on it.

I've been down the whole thing from Estacada to where it turns to pavement south of Gov. Camp. Was funny cause when I got to the other end there was a sign saying the road was closed due to being washed out. So that must have been the really nasty spot I had to get through. :)

This was a couple months ago.

I only kind of geocache. I've looked for two. Found none. (there are three in biking distance from my house, but I've not went looking) I loaded a bunch in the areas I wheel and around here so if I get the itch I can try and find them.

And I'd be one of these that just fills in the log if it has one. And not take or leave anything. Wanting to get a little more into it but seem to have way too many hobbies right now.

Lets see.

Wheeling Soobs.

R/C planes and helis

R/C rock crawlers

A scale model here and there.

Flight sims

Clubbing (not so much these days)

Vintage Bikes. (I have a 1950 Shelby, took it for it's first ride in 50 years a couple nights ago)

Music production. (But my studio equip has been collecting dust the past several months, but that's normal in the summer)

I stayed away from RallyCross this year as I was too busy wheeling.

I really gotta cut back but I love it all so much. :grin:

So back to it.

Let me go see if the Rubicon guy is still going.

is that every weekend the group meets at the shell station or is that just every once in a while? i do like wheelin browns camp, bi sadly i havent been able to take my wagon up there yet. i have just gone in my brat and in my wifes blazer.

on a side note some dork my wife works with was boasting that he knocked the can opener rock off the creekside at browns camp. (i think it is on archers firebrake). i would like to see this for myself because that rock was the size of

a school bus. tread lightly.

if anyone wants to get together next weekend for some trails let me know. (the 82 is not lifted but it does have larger tires)

It's not every weekend. That's just when the 4x4 club I'm with meets up when ever they have a run. And it tends to be the time/place when anyone from there meets up.

Tell him not to bung up Can Opener too much, we are adopting that trail. :grin: More work for me.

Could be up for a run next weekend. Promised my Fiancee a picnic trip down Barlow road (A fun mellow wheeling trip) though and I'm skipping out on that this weekend so I might be tied up next weekend.

Ill be at browns camp sat they are having a 4 wheel event all weekend

Yeah we'll be there sunday morning. Only time Chaz and Frank (Guy with the Rubicon) can get the time.

Not gonna run with the Cascade Cruisers, For one I didn't register and wasn't it like $50 entry?

==========================================

OK, so Chaz.

He wants to meet up at the shell station on highway 6 on the way to Brown's at 9am sunday.

That cool?

(I generaly show up around 8-8:30 just in case)

Edited by TeamCF

Yeah we'll be there sunday morning. Only time Chaz and Frank (Guy with the Rubicon) can get the time.

Not gonna run with the Cascade Cruisers, For one I didn't register and wasn't it like $50 entry?

==========================================

OK, so Chaz.

He wants to meet up at the shell station on highway 6 on the way to Brown's at 9am sunday.

That cool?

(I generaly show up around 8-8:30 just in case)

that works for me.

i'll call you if something comes up and i can't make it or if i'm running late.

Fun weekend and price only has to paid if you play the poker game

We had a blast too. I went down trails that had people telling me "If you told me a Subaru could go down that trail I would call you a flat out liar, but I just saw it with my own eyes." The guy with the lifted Rubi even was saying that theres guys he knows with crawler style rigs that would not do do the Bates Road trail, he can't wait to tell them I did it in a Suby. I went up the hard side. Double black diamond baby. :banana: (the real kind not the mismarked kind.)

Steep as s*** with 3 foot ledges. Kind of like Water Fall but all packed dirt instead of rock. Picked a good line and cleaned it.

Once I fix my engine. Put some new front axles in (again). And replace most of my exhaust system. We'll have to hit that one. Thought I was gonna roll it end over end coming back down. Maximum pucker factor.

(Another wrong turn earlier in the day had me just dragging my Soob down a field of rocks. Tore everything up, I barely limped it home by the time I abused it the rest of the day.)

So I may not be able to wheel again till next year but that was a good final run. Gonna have to see how $$ goes to see how fast it gets fixed....

It rocked. :headbang:

I just wish Chaz could have ran the last trail. But his rear diff gave up.

man that was a fun day but i do wish i hadn't broke so early. but its all for the better, it is inside the diff. though. i pulled off the highway at the top where rogers camp is to pull out the other rear axle and heard a thunk and my batt. and some other lights came on. opened the hood and was missing a fan belt looked closer and the idler pulley for the a/c belt was missing looked down where i heard the thunk and theres the pulley and fan belt. so took the a/c belt off put the fan belt back on (it was still good) then pulled the other axle and away we went for home. that a/c pulley couldn't have picked a better place to let go, since we where at hard throttle and in alot of traffic go up to the past just before it let go or on the trail earlier.

got some repairs to do will need to put another diff. in welded not sure if the welds broke or a spider but its an open diff again only with some crunking noises coming out of it hense the reason for taking out both rear axles.

can't wait to do it all over again. :lol::banana:

Man.

Yeah got out just in time.

Would have been a bummer if the pully and belt let go on the trail.

Proly would have had to scout for parts.

Looks like Frank was the lucky one. Here I was afraid he would pull the usual stunt of snaping a rear axle or ring and pinion. I hadn't kept up but maybe he got all those uber rock crawler guts he had ordered in already.

Those cookies he started to do when we stopped near the end gave me a little cringe. Thought we'd hear a "BANG" out of the back of his rig when the locker engaged. :lol:

We'll have to hit up the Bates Road trail next time right away. You can hit it nearly right off of hwy 6 a little past the Browns camp turn off. I think you'll dig that one. You can run up the right side and its just a steep road from what I could tell. Or you can go the fun way to the left and its a nasty washed out series of steep climbs. :headbang:

Now I just have to get mine all situated too. I'm thinking maybe once I replace the exhaust pipe I mangled and knock out whats left of the converter guts it may run good again. It seemed to run bad after I smashed it all up on that "wrong" Archers trail with all the rocks. So maybe it's just way to much backpressure. Here's to hoping. :)

Took a look at my front axles tonight and I can't seem to feel any play when I grab the axle and wiggle. So my shaking when accelerating could be the engine struggling.

Start with the exhaust and go from there.

Get any pics?

I have one of you just befor your rear end let go. And a few of Frank on Can Opener.

Frank got one of you all leaned over. And one of the axle.

A link to the pics and thread on the 4x4 board.

http://sore4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2988

I've not let on there that I pounded my Soob. Don't want them thinking you have to break it to wheel it. I think it was mainly that one Archers trail. If we would have skipped it I proly would not have any fixing to do.

But you know me. I'll try any trail once. :lol:

I like this quote by Frank. "I didn't get a single picture of the unbelievable Subaru... DAMN IT"

And it's true. No pics of me. 'sniff sniff'

Edited by TeamCF

Damn...While you were out havin' fun..I was in the shop doing the headgaskets on my hatch...and stuffing the ea81 back in..!

Jason,

I hope ya get your wagon back together...

You too....Chaz...

I don't wanna be solo...on my debut....:eek:

I know. We have to have the three stooges... I mean Soobs out to play in the woods. :lol: