Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In process of SVX engine rebuild

Already posted on subaru-svx.net, but thought I would put it here b/c of more traffic.

I got a SVX a few months ago w/a hole in the shortblock. Tore the engine apart this weekend and the connecting rod on the number 6 piston was busted. Will post pics later this week. Car had over 200k on it and it looks like it leaked oil like crazy. Underside of the car had about a quarter inch of oil caked on. I don't know the maintenance history of the vehicle. But judging by the rod through the block, probably not really maintained. :-\

So i have lined up a shortblock for it. I was originally planning to just replace the shortblock and headgaskets and call it done. But after reading a bit on the Subaru SVX network, I am thinking a complete rebuild might be in order.

Here are some questions.

1) I found a timing belt kit from E-bay for 189.99. This includes pulleys and gears. Do I need new pulleys and gears? I know that the EG33 is basically a EJ22 motor on steroids so would the idle pulleys and gears work form the EJ kit? From the parts Ej18 I have, the timing belt idles and stuff look the same.

2) Complete gasket kit is $240.83 from subaruparts.com. Once again, would parts from the EJ22 kit work as well. I do plan to get cometic gaskets for the rebuild. So the EJ sealing kit is like $64.00 and cometic gaskets are $131.18.

3) Do I need new head bolts? Mine are from a car w/200k on the ticker.

4) I am not sure of the condition of the new shortblock. Should I do a complete rebuild that? If so are just new bearings and rings enough or do I need to go all out and do rods and pistons too.

Thanks for the input

BW

progress.gif