Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

custom gauges

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sub_speed_559

sub_speed_559

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • fresno cali

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:47 AM

i was thinking of making some custom guages for my 88 turbo wagon, not the gl-10 or the digi dash....i am kinda sick of looking at the same tired gauges and am thinking of doing a black out gauge......it would basically be black when the car is off and then it would have the lights come on when the car is turned on....but i would probibly have it backlit with blue or amber led's.....either that or maybe making a carbon fiber face gauge with like amber color numbers that would show amber when backlit but don't know how this would look....if anyone has any ideas or input or perhaps would like to have one made once i have made a prototype just let me know .....

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:17 AM

been done on many cars (I've never seen it for an old subaru....but the idea remains the same). cut a piece of plastic/carbon/wood/whatever the shape of the stock cluster, then use a hole saw to cut holes for aftermarket gauges. a few lights for indicators, and some paint and you're set.

it's something I'm looking at doing in my next round of mods :)

EDIT: a quick google image search for "custom gauge cluster" brought up these.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the hard thing, of course, will be the speedometer.....especially if you have a swapped car that needs the VSS signal

Edited by Numbchux, 03 October 2008 - 05:44 AM.

#3 sub_speed_559

sub_speed_559

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • fresno cali

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

well im not trying to do different gauges im using the stock gauges and just giving them a face lift.......i don't really like the look to much of all the autometer gauges all crammed together like that, plus i was thinking of having it done for around 30 bux at most....\

#4 my69opelgt

my69opelgt

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • hayden, idaho

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

well im not trying to do different gauges im using the stock gauges and just giving them a face lift.......i don't really like the look to much of all the autometer gauges all crammed together like that, plus i was thinking of having it done for around 30 bux at most....\

I like the full custom gauges idea. but i like this setup with carbon fiber gauges too. Posted Image
I understand the budget dilema, im a paycheck to paycheck kinda guy. So are you going to dress up the digi dash or analog?
if budget wasnt a problem id like to use one of these:http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/viewimageresize.asp?w=252&p=AIMSport&f=Data_Loggers

Edited by my69opelgt, 03 October 2008 - 03:44 PM.
add photo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users