Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

car not starting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pamike

pamike

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Jersey Shore, PA

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

90 legacy, the car has always ran great. it failed inspection and has sat until i had a chance to do some body work it. i tried to start it and it didn't even try. i cranked it some more and it fired for a second and died. this went on until the battery died and i didn't have time to charge the battery back up. what could have happened.

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Bad Gas, gas goes south when it sits, you also get water in the gas. How long did it sit?

Lifters drain oil if they sit for a long time!

Could have a valve that is stuck open from sitting!

Low battery does funny things to the starting systems!

Mice chew through wires when the nest.

Charge it, try some starter fluid in the intake.

#3 pamike

pamike

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Jersey Shore, PA

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

i forgot to say it's only been about 2 weeks. normally it is my daily driver and always ran great. i just can't figure out why after setting that short period of time it won't start. i'm gonna charge the battery when i get a chance and try it again.

#4 simbey1982

simbey1982

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:04 AM

i would bet on the battery...i let my legacy sit for about 4 months one time and it took a new battery and about 2min of turning over for all the systems to charge and it to run

#5 pamike

pamike

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Jersey Shore, PA

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:49 AM

don't really have the extra money for a battery right now so i'll charge it up and maybe throw a set of jumper cables on it when i get a chance and try it.

#6 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

maybe somebody came along and borrowed the gas out of the tank.:grin:

#7 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

what ive found that after a car sits for a bit, make sure that battery is good and charged up full. If its sitting at an angle and doesnt have alot of gas in it you might need to put a couple gallons in. I turn the key into the on position then off then on then off. Get that system nice and primed up with gas. If it still fails to start after that, then you check your fuel, and spark. See if you can get it to start with starting fluid.

#8 pamike

pamike

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Jersey Shore, PA

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

what ive found that after a car sits for a bit, make sure that battery is good and charged up full. If its sitting at an angle and doesnt have alot of gas in it you might need to put a couple gallons in. I turn the key into the on position then off then on then off. Get that system nice and primed up with gas. If it still fails to start after that, then you check your fuel, and spark. See if you can get it to start with starting fluid.

i'll have to try turning the key on and off

#9 pamike

pamike

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Jersey Shore, PA

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

ok, i connected the jumper cables to it and cycled the key on and off a few times and it fired right up first try.:clap: i don't know why it did what it did but it seems to be running fine now.

#10 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

I RULE:grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users