Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

alternator help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

I have a john deere gator (4x6 3 cyl diesel) I found in the desert (I am currently in Iraq deployed) and I have been trying to get it fixed up. After replacing the trans, and various axles, the wiring harness (self made), and other odds and ends, I need to wire up the alternator. It is a 3 wire type internally regulated (delco remy I believe). The wires are as such 1 big red wire coming from the top, 1 yellow wire and a brown wire coming out of a plug underneath the red one.
I know the big red wire goes to the battery, but where do the other 2 go? I believe the yellow one goes to the "run" side of the switch I made, and the brown would go to the ammeter, than back to the battery. I am not sure though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,542 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

http://www.teglerize...ator/wiring.htm
http://www.oldengine.../unfaq/10si.htm
http://www.autorewir...o10SInandd.html

does that help?

#3 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:19 AM

The last one did it for me. I dont have a dummy light, so I just didnt connect that wire to anything for now. I plan on installing an ammeter, but I need tolocate a shunt first. Thanks for all the help. I actually got her fired up and running today.
This web site is the best for general auto tech.

#4 nvexplorer

nvexplorer

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

If the alt gives you problems wire up a light or a resistor to that dummy light wire. Some models need them in order to run. Mainly older GM's but its a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users