Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ER27 Issues - Parts & Advice Needed

Hi All! :)

Sometime ago, Right after the Starter Problem was Solved (As Seen on This Thread: Here ) My XT6 Wagon`s engine Started to Sing the TOD Song :banghead: that Now seems like it Turned to be very Loud! :mad:

My Dad Asked me to go check it, So I traveled to my Parents` Home and Drove it Around for a While: The TOD Seems to be the Average TOD of those EA82 / ER27 Engines, but if I Let the Engine at Idle for more than four Minutes (For example: in a Traffic Light Semaphore) the TOD gets Even Worse, at the Point that even the Whole Body of the Car Shakes! :eek:

So, I`m Sure the the Oil Pump is Worn and Weak... Just when the Car goes at Cruise Speeds, the Lifters seems to get some Oil Pressure Relief and the TOD Noise becomes more Silent...

I am Not Really Sure if I Can Swap a EA82 Oil Pump in that ER27 Engine ...(Here Aren`t available ER27 Parts)... I have readed about the Oposite thing: People Swapping ER27 Oil Pumps in EA82 Engines. The ER27 Oil Pump gives More Pressure than the EA82 one, but the Questions are:

Could I Swap a EA82 Oil Pump in a ER27 Engine? ...

What issues could I face in that Situation? ...

The Mickey Mouse Seal and other Parts will Fit \ Work / Bolt on? ...

I Was Thinking about Using Some Seafoam; As I Have Readed here, the Seafoam works Amazing on these Old Subie Engines...

Long Time Ago, a Great Friend from this USMB Kindly Attempted to Send me a Couple of Cans... I Was So Happy; I Asked a Co-Worker to Let me Use his Miami`s (Florida) MailBox to Receive the Cans There ...(The Mailbox Company Brings to Here anything that goes there, for a fee)... But he mistakenly Gave me a Wrong Number... So the Pack returned to my Friend`s and Seems Like I`ve Lost the Chance to Obtain Seafoam Forever... it is Not Available Here and also the well known Car Parts Stores online Doesn`t have it ... :-\ ...

I Obtained a Bottle of "Valve Medic" Oil Additive (See Here) But I am not Sure if that will Help or just turn the Problem Worse... Anybody already Tried Valve Medic?

Well... There are other Things and Car Parts that Seems to be impossible to Find here, For Example I Need the Black Rubber Band that Goes at the Side Rear Glass` Base of the Back for one of my Wagons...

The Dealer Doesn`t have it and when I went to Search it to our Local Junk Yards, ...(they Doesn`t have Local Cars at All)... They Bring the Cars from USA but Already cutted in Half: They Just Bring here The Front Half, the Doors, The Seats, Lights, etc... No Back Body Parts at All... So, Here is Easy to Find Large and "Important" Parts, but Hard to Find Minor or "Luxury" Parts... So I Couldn`t Find it.

Also: I need a EA82 PCV Valve for my Weberized Wagon...

I Couldn`t Find it at the Dealer, Nor Aftermarked and the Junk Yards` People want me to Buy a Whole intake!

This might be a Weird Question, But: is There any other Car Brand that have a Good PCV Valve that can fit the EA82 intake?

Kind Regards.

~ JesZeK ~

the first step is to reseal the oil pump.

as far as i know the EA82 and ER27 pumps are not interchangeable. if they are, the parts are different. the ER27 takes a pump to block gasket and a shaft seal. the EA82 pump to block gasket is different and it also takes an additional oring on the pump rotor that the ER27 does not have.

but the bottom line is interchanging isn't necessary. the first step is always to reseal the oil pump, the pump to block gaskets frequently get sucked into the bores. we have pictures and some folks over on the subaruxt.com forum that have even devised a permanent solution to this problem. they've inserted metal sleeves into the bores to prevent the gasket from getting sucked in since some folks seem to have a recurring problem.

recently someone had resealed pumps continue to bring about the TOD even with all new seals and gaskets. i sent them a new pump and so far it hasn't returned. my only guess to this issue is that the thin aluminum pump housing gets warped just enough to allow the gasket to not be fully held in place. a new pump *may* solve these recurring problems. this was the first attempt to solve one that i know of and so far it worked.

so - if a reseal doesn't work, then you need a new pump or to entertain the permanent fix to keeping that gasket in place.

personally i'd live with the TOD until you can get a replacement XT6 pump shipped to you. the TOD sounds horrific but won't hurt anything.

i would avoid using the additives, if it helps it's only going to be temporary and could possibly cause long term issues. you want to address the problem, not the symptoms.

Edited by grossgary

Thank you for your Kind Answer! :)

This:

...a permanent solution to this problem. they've inserted metal sleeves into the bores to prevent the gasket from getting sucked in since some folks seem to have a recurring problem. ...

Sounds Like a Great Idea!

I Didn`t Thought about the Gasket Being Sucked in, But due to the Age / Mileage of Engine and Nothing has been Changed so Far... it Makes Sense.

...you want to address the problem, not the symptoms.

Absolutely!

okay, i wasn't sure if you had already done the oil pump before. now that you're saying you haven't. that's definitely the first place to start.

a simple reseal - one gasket, one seal, and some sealant might be all you need.

you're good with subarus, so at least this is a job i know you can do and the parts are cheap so hopefully it works out for you.

if it returns, just let us know and we'll go from there.

good luck!

Thank you for your Kind Replies! :)

About This Question:

... I need a EA82 PCV Valve for my Weberized Wagon...

I Couldn`t Find it at the Dealer, Nor Aftermarked and the Junk Yards` People want me to Buy a Whole intake! ...

Could it be another Car Brand`s PCV to fit my EA82`s intake?

Kind Regards.

you need a PCV valve?

the XT6 and most 1990's subaru's PCV valves are the same. are there Subaru dealers in your country you can order from? good chance the EA82 PCV valves are the same as most other newer ones, so they'll have them in stock.

Thank you for your Kind Replies! :)

Yes here are some Subaru Dealers and many many Aftermarket Parts` Shops; but the Dealer doesn`t have the Right (EA & ER Engines) PCV and doesn`t seems like they will Bring one soon...

But Now, Knowing that Some of the Newer Subie`s PCV`s Are the Same, I`ll Take off the one in my Subie and Start Searchin` for a New one by Comparizon... :confused:

Also Thank you for The List of the Other Brand`s PCV`s that will Fit good in an Old Subie! ... :banana: ... That is Great!

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...

Fixed! ... :banana:... at Least for a While...

That horrible Hydraulic Lifters Noise (T.O.D.) I Solved it using first a can of MMO and after three months of Drivin' I changed the oil and used a can of "Hydro Stobel" which is an Oil Additive just for aid the Hydraulic Lifters, is Made in Germany by the Good Brand "Liqui-Moli" well known in our Market.

More information about it, here:

http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/store/product156.html

Next time I will Consider an EJ Swap ... :D...

Kind Regards.