Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two Things - Roof Rails and Cup Holder

First, the stock roof rack on my 1997 Impreza Outback, is the style with two metal runners that go the length of the car and two cross beams. I am trying to find out if I can replace them with the new style as seen on the Impreza/Outback. I realize there may be a difference in length, but I thought that I might be able to get the roof rails off a current Impreza Wagon, and that they might be the same length? Does anyone know for sure whether this will work?

Second, and I am sure this has come up before, but is there a better option for a cup holder that anyone has seen. I know that the general complaint is that the cup holder interfers with something on the center dash, usually the radio or the heater controls, depending on location. Is there any better solution, e.g. an aftermarket center consol, or over e-brake cup holder? I do not want to go to Pep Boys/Autozone/Napa/etc. and get a cheap hang-in-the-window model, I would rather have a cleaner option. Any Ideas?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Welcome, Professor.

My Forester took a tree hit directly on the roof rack. Didn't phase it! In fact it saved that side of the car from damage! I have the solid-low profile rack. It's strong!

Aren't the cup holders a great design! Mine both blocks access to my controls and blocks my vents!

They warm your soda in the winter and cool off your coffee in the summer!

I'm not sure I really had anything importent to say?

Just Spouting!

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it used to be...

01 Forester, bent but not broken!

Oh hell, I might as well join in. My only real complaint( having only owned it for 10 days) is it's lack of places for stuff. Elbow rest has a good place for storage of cds. How'bout a little change drawer somewhere? The door pockets are useable if A)you have the hands of a 4 yr old, or B) you only have two fingers on your left hand.

I don't mind thowing stuff on the seat beside me but with leather armoralled seats, everything goes quickly to the floor. Have you tried the nets on the backs on the seats? One dimensional items only please, and dont let any skinny maps fall down the long way in there. You'll be going to get a pair of rulers or once again maybe the assistance of a 3 or 4 yr old.

Cup holders??????The people in the back have to flip for the ONE back there in this lovely limited option package. I'd almost rather have none so neither felt jipped.

Want me to keep going? Alright I will.

I want the front suroof to slide back! I don't know who's idea it was to give all the fun to the backseaters but it's junk. Mine tilts like the 89 cherokee\laredo. It's junk. Give me one sunroof that's over me and slides back.

I'm going to stop now. She tracks straight and solidly and I love her. But if she soons blows a gasket or belt I will piss on her.

I don't know what the door pockets look like on your car, but a soft 48-cd case fits quite nicely into the ones in my legacy.

Also, yes, damn those cup holders. At least I can change the song or station if I only have one cup in the passenger holder.

You could buy one of those window ones and attach it to the side of the trasmission hump next to the shifter or something.

Can't help on the rack, though. I have a thule. it's nice.

Don't know for sure if 2d gen. roof rails would fit 1st gen. roof. There were roof rails for gen. 1 in Japan and Europe, but AFAIK they are not available as spare parts. From dealers in UK, you can order a roof rack with "feet" that attach to the same factory mounts in the roof channels that are used with USDM "port installed" rack. The cross-bars are removable. With shipping it would run something over $200. A console cupholder is supposedly available from Husco as a special order, it fits on the optional storage-box console.

On the Legacys at least, taking the main rails off the roof requires pulling the headliner out of the car. That seems like a lot of trouble for the results you are seeking. The body styles haven't changed in a decade, so the newer units would probably fit. I would park side by side with a newer one and eyeball the contour of the roof to be sure. You should be able to figure out by looking if the areas where bolts are installed are in the same place.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone, both for their insight and their sarcasm. I have consigned myself to the cupholders and realize that they are better than my girlfriend's, as I can actually fit a normal size to-go mug in mine, and we had to find a supper skinny one for her 96 Legacy.

As to the roof rails, I have found a way to remove them. There is a small plastic cover at the ends of each rail. If you remove that you can get at the screws under that and remove the whole roof rack. That allowed me to remove the two crossbars, but has left me with spaces in the rails themselves where the crossbars where. I am trying to hunt down some rubber to go in these holes, that matches the stock rubber from the roofrails, and does not cost 200$ that the dealer wants. I have put a Yakima rack on, and it works swell. I am very happy, and just need to work on the details.

Thanks again to everybody.