Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shift Linkage Mods ?

Mugs

Ok so I checked the FAQ before posting here and came up with nothing. So here goes. Monstaru came over and helped me (he did most of it) install my 6in lift on my 85 Gl :burnout:. So now comes the work of figureing out how to get the steering reconnected and the shift linkage and d/r selector back up into the drivers compartment so I can dirve this thing. I think I have the steering figured out, but what do you guys do about the shift linkage, shifter stabalizer, and d/r selector? :banghead: Any and all helps especially with pics would be great.

Sorry no pics yet, I am haveing trouble transfering the pic from my camera to my pc, but when I get soem I will post them.

A special thanks to Monstaru, who showed me that it is possoble to work on my car without a hoist, air tools, and on my back. :banana:

good luck. when i lifted my Brat 4" i had to eventually cut the shift rod in half (my first atempt was just to heat bend the shift lever rod that resulted in a very weak and evenutally broken lever), and weld it back with a side offset and different angle, so as to clear the 4wd linkage, and so i could hit 2nd 4th and reverse. reverse was the most difficult to figure out, then i had to make sure the shift nob wouldn't bump the radio on off switch when in first gear. I think we welded the lever so it was just to the left of where it was originially that way i could throw it in reverse and the bottome portion missed the 4wd linkage. Also had to pull out the 4wd linkage rod, and welded a angle bracket around 3" with a tilt to it and then drilled a hole for the attachment bolt to tranny on.

don't worry mugsy.........it is not as ominous as you are making it feel to yourself.

i thought you could find something on here , but obviously people want to make it harder than it is.

it will just take time ya'know.we'll take care of it.cheers, brian