Ultimate Subaru Message Board

POR 15 newb, Q's

I got this stuff and I got the special cleaner, but they were out of the metal prep, and since this is just kinda a test run, I decided to chance it and just let it dry really good (about a day with no rain) after using the POR 15 cleaner. Is there anything other than their special Metal Ready product out there that anyone has use to prep metal for the POR 15 and had good luck with? :confused:

I also didn't know how thick the stuff would be, and I used more than I needed, and went ahead and used up the extra on a lot of other places that I had cleaned previously, but not with the special degreaser. What's the chance any of that will stick? And what will have to do to fix it if it doesn't bond properly on the un-prepared surfaces?

Thanks! :)

I've used the same product a few times. Alls I did was wire wheel the heavy rust off, wash the area (frame in my case) with sope and water,let it dry and paint on the POR...It stuck like glue. Looked great the day I sold the rig several years later. POR and other compounds like it need a certain amount of surface rust to work right. I never spent the extra $ on the "special" prep products.

Sweet, good to hear, :banana: what would you say about it's abrasion resistance? I am thinking of using it to cover my skid plate, but it gets the worst of the beating off road, will it hold up better than paint?

It can take some rubbing ect.. but it will still come off with you hitting rocks and crap lol.

Good stuff though! also to help protect the POR-15. I sprayed gloss black paint over it (Just for more protection Hehe)

-Tom:)

Kewl, I have lots of spray paint, but after a visit to HF for a $15 airline dryer I spent $65 lol ... too much good stuff ... so I gotta be careful. :lol:

How about heat resistance? I put some on my tail pipe, and it had about 4 hrs to dry before I ran it, but I am curious how the stuff takes the heat?

Thanks again for the info all, :burnout:

Kewl, I have lots of spray paint, but after a visit to HF for a $15 airline dryer I spent $65 lol ... too much good stuff ... so I gotta be careful. :lol:

How about heat resistance? I put some on my tail pipe, and it had about 4 hrs to dry before I ran it, but I am curious how the stuff takes the heat?

Well, it didn't burn off when I heated the hell out of those rear strut bolts (3 times with a propane torch) I think its pretty much heat/fire resistent :P

Good luck :)

Well, it didn't burn off when I heated the hell out of those rear strut bolts (3 times with a propane torch) I think its pretty much heat/fire resistent :P

Good luck :)

W00t! Thx! :banana:

Time for the second coat and then I will be golden! Oh one more Q lol ... is there anything cheap and easy you have found to cut this stuff? Acetone maybe?

mine is starting to flake, peel, off the muffler in spots now after 2 years.

also, the POR-15 on my wheel well arch of the quarter panel is starting to peel off. it had no chance to stick on my rust free BRAT. i never used the pre treater stuff. just cleaned it with a hose to get the dust off.

Most places though it has stuck on well. I think i will followup treat next year (year 3 ).

when you say cut, do you mean to get off your skin? takes about 2 weeks....lol

Rust Bullet Brent.

:confused: is that a product that is a thinner for POR 15?

I was thinking something to thin it, I haven't had anything on my skin, I didn't know how hot this stuff was, so I really suited up the first time using it, all I had to do to remove some spots on my glasses was put a little dish soap on it and run hot water, came off pretty easy, of course it was still wet. :burnout:

I might get a gun and shoot it now that I have access to a decent air compressor. :Flame:

Oh, yes pretty much the same thing that it says on the can "Only time wil take it off your skin" I've been there alot Lol.. I wouldn't worry about how hot this stuff is, the metel ready and the marine clean doesn't burn either (Unless you get it in your eye) been there too. oh and don't breath in the fine mist when you spray the cleaners/metel ready (Burns like bleach in your lungs) and I have asthma, so it'll clear the crap out of ur lungs Lol!

The Metel ready eatchs into the metel giving the POR something to bond to.

-Tom

Well, I might get lucky with just using the car wash pressure washer, the guy who lined my brat originally with some weird looking black tar like substance didn't know he had to scuff the original paint first! :lol:

So I have taken a really good amount off with just my air gun. I thought about sand blasting initially, but I didn't want anything so coarse, and this stuff is coming off pretty easy, I might eventually try one of those baking soda sandblasters (HF has one for about $120 .. looks like it might be something I could build out of an old fire extinguisher :brow:) but I need to find out some first hand info on it. From what I have read, they are good for minor rust and just taking off paint with out much risk to taking off a lot of the parent metal, of just taking off paint layer by layer. Also, the baking soda isn't as toxic as a lot of sandblasting media. I had the rims sandblasted by a shop and the only problem is they used such a coarse sand that it's made it more challenging to keep rust free since it was done to the equivalent of like 40 grit sandpaper, and that rough surface really holds onto dirt. :banghead: