Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HOW do I advance timing?

Does your timing NEED to be advanced? Or have you not checked it in a while?

Get a timing light, connect the power leads to the battery and the sensor lead to #1 spark plug wire. Start engine, allow it to warm up. Depending on what engine you have, the timing marks are either at the front pulley, or on the flywheel. loosen the two bolts that hold the distributor down (I'm assuming EA82 at this point) and turn it SLOWLY while pointing the timing light at the marks. You can put it wherever you want, but I recommend putting it wherever the sticker under the hood says to put it.

Thanks for the instructions!

Whomever owned this car before me didn't take care of it. I put in the first new set of plugs the thing ever had, so even if I wasn't intent on advancing my timing for more performance, I'd want to check it anyway, lol.

Yeh that's the main steps.... But with ECU's nowadays you have to baby the electronics.

Don't forget to connect the "diagnostic connectors" to the ECU first. If you have a service manual, it'll tell you what to do -- also somethin' about disconnecting the throttle body air sensor (I'm at work now and goin' from memory).

The diagnostic connectors are either under the dash (driver's side, where the ECU is), or under the hood near the wiper motor. Don't know about an 86 XT, but mine are the green connectors under the hood.

I'm sure most of us have forgotten to disconnect 'em after timing, too :) No ill effects, as far as I could tell, but I believe it eliminates spark advance so the ECU doesn't compensate for moving the timing.

-- Mark

Edit: Rallyruss is right, no "air valve" involved in adjusting timing. I hate giving out bad information.... even when I 'caveat' it with a disclaimer of bad memory :( Adjusted the timing last month, and I remembered something in my Chilton's. Just checked again, it was an instruction about "disconnecting vacuum advance hose" for carb models. Doesn't apply here.

I never heard of disconecting the throttle body air sensor. mabey I missed something.

you do need to connect the green connectors.

if you have an XT they should be in the trunk.

a genral rule of thumb is not to go more than 2 deg. beyond the specs. some have tried more with some sucess I assume. you wont find me risking my motor over a little power though.