Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost Fifth 5th Gear in Manual Forester

A new clutch will not fix a blown gear...

Did he actually blow fifth gear or can he just not get it to go in? I dont know much about these trannies, but Im pretty sure the 5th gear is not in the AWD transfer case, so if the gear is blown, it would probably be cheaper just to get a junkyard trans and swap it in.

-Bill

Subarus dont have a transfer case per say the transfer is in the back end of the actual transmission.

Losing 5th is very rare but it could happen. What does it feel like when you try for that gear with the car shut off? Does it feel like you are swimming to get to all the gears other than 5th as well? I wonder if the linkage is so sloppy or worn that you cant reach it.

I have a '99 Forester 5MT. Condition is unknown. I bought it from a guy who claims it was part of a STi swap and was pulled at 60K. My mechanic feels that the bearings are noisy so we never installed it. It would certainly be a good core since it does check out to have all 5 speeds. I got snuckered for $500 on it, but would take a lot less if it can be used to repair your transmission. Shipping would be a bear, but it's do-able.

I'm in the Seattle area; from your post I would guess you're in Wyoming.

What do you mean by "lost 5th"?

Will it not go into 5th? Does it go in but then pops right back out? Does it stay in but when you give it gas the engine just revs but you get no go?

Is it really a transmission in a manual?

Yes and no. Technically its a Transaxle. But either way ,automatic or manual, transmission or transaxle, it's what transmits the rotary motion of the engine to the rest of the drive system (transfer case, differentials, axles, etc.) .

What do you mean by "lost 5th"?

Will it not go into 5th? Does it go in but then pops right back out? Does it stay in but when you give it gas the engine just revs but you get no go?

That I dont know but will find out. He said it worked at first and now I think it goes into 5th but makes a horrible grinding noise. I will verify once he calls back. Thanks