Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 engine removal & storage

A little history here, I bought my first Subaru the first week of Nov. a 1990 Legacy L (190,000 miles 4WD). The second week of Dec. I totaled it out ( a school bus pulled out in front of me on a very icy road) I bought it back from the ins. co. for $25.00 intending to fix it, it needed a new hood, bumper, front fender, and radiator. I found another 1990 only this one had 170,000 miles 4WD, very very little rust and was a "Limited" LS. Soooo I bought it. What I am doing is stripping the "old" one down for the parts (in case I ever need them) I would like to pull the engine and keep it. I have a Haynes manual but it is not very informative. I would like to know if any of you have any tips for removal and storage of the engine. I am hoping to get to it in a few weeks so I am just planning at the moment. It still runs like a charm, no leaks and smooth as silk. I go out every few days and start it up just to keep things lubed up but without much of a radiator (has a big hole in the top) I don't let it run more than a minute or so.

Thanks!

run it with the fuel pump disconnected till it ran out of fuel, change the oil, pull each spark plug, shoot some WD-40 in the holes put the plugs back in. pull the engine, wrap plastic around the intake, stuff some rags in the exhaust and set it somewhere safe, oh ya plug up the coolant intake and outlets. But chances are you'll never need it cause you have that other awesum ej22:D

Take out the head plugs and empty absolutely every drop of moisture out of it that you can, then use that antimoisture stuff.

You wouldn't believe how many blocks we trash because they were "stored" with moisture in them and the cylinders rusted beyond redemption!

(Oh yeah, don't forget to put the head plugs back in)

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

But chances are you'll never need it cause you have that other awesum ej22

I Hope you're right, when I got the second car I drove 200 miles to look at it and when we started it, it sounded horrible, really bad lifter ticking, so bad I wasn't sure it would make the 200 mile return trip home. The guy knocked a BIG chunck of $ off so I decided to give it a try. Went down the road aways and filled up, put in a bottle of STP oil treatment and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, by the time I got 75 miles out it was running smooth and no ticking. I have since changed the oil (twice in 1000 miles), AT fluid etc. Seems to be running fine now, get good mpg, but since I already have the other motor that I know more of the history of and runs great I figure I might aswell keep it.....just in case.